LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 08-13-2018, 01:10 PM   #1
sdmark777
User

Default Rules for Transporting Collection across State Lines

I am looking in the future to move from the Peoples Republic of CA to the free state of Arizona. I have a large collection of firearms I will be taking with me. All are legal in both states. These are all my personal firearms, not being transported for anyone else or for commercial reasons. Normally I would not worry about this, but due to the large number of firearms I am a little concerned about going through the Border Patrol Checkpoint. I do not wish to send them from FFL to FFL as the cost would be exorbitant, I don't want to risk loss, theft or damage in shipping (many irreplaceable) and I don't trust anyone. I am not talking about any NFA weapons, I know you have to file with ATF before transporting those between states. So anyone aware of any Federal or State Laws I need to be aware of? Thanks, Mark
sdmark777 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to sdmark777 for your post:
Unread 08-13-2018, 02:02 PM   #2
sdmark777
User

I might make a special trip with the German related handguns as seen here. But, none are worth loosing and even this small number might seem like too many to a check point inspector. I really don't want to do a bunch of small trips. I have never taken a large box truck full of possessions across state lines. I worry they will want to go through all the guns if they figure out I am transporting firearms. Anyone with experience going through the large truck side of the check points?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	73494  

Click image for larger version

Name:	B.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	73495  

The following member says Thank You to sdmark777 for your post:
Unread 08-13-2018, 02:08 PM   #3
HerrKaiser
User

I’m sure you can contact either a local FFL or an FFL where you are moving and see what they have to say about it. They’ll probably have a better idea of what to do and advice.

Looking for Mauser S/42 toggle train #22
HerrKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2018, 02:20 PM   #4
sdmark777
User

Thanks. I will definitely do that. Unfortunately, FFL's don't always know about these kinds of issues because they transfer between states under their FFL. That's why I am asking the vast experience of the forum members. To see if there is some law or issue I have missed. I guess I need to call ATF and see what they have to say. But like CA DOJ, you can't trust what they tell you, not because they lie, just not all are experts. They often fall back on, " safest way, is to ship everything through an FFL". But I don't believe I have to ship through an FFL and for the previously stated reasons I don't want to. I just want to be reassured and be prepared if they get all paranoid because I am transporting a gunshop's worth of inventory.
Unread 08-13-2018, 02:24 PM   #5
sdmark777
User

Thanks for looking that up Ed. I believed I could transport them. But, I guess I am paranoid. All the anti gun hype these days. Just want to be sure.
Unread 08-13-2018, 02:34 PM   #6
sdmark777
User

Ed, I just read the second part of your reply. I may have been misinformed. I thought the large Uhaul type box trucks had to go through the 18 wheeler side. If you can just go through the passenger vehicle side that will be much more pleasant. Thanks for your input on that.
Unread 08-13-2018, 02:40 PM   #7
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Rather than getting the BATF involved, why not ask the State Patrol for their rules regarding transportation and print a copy of their responses to carry along?
I'd say unloaded, in individual cases out of arm's reach you should be fine. And don't stop at every bar and pot dispensary along the way...
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to DavidJayUden for your post:
Unread 08-13-2018, 02:53 PM   #8
sdmark777
User

Thanks David. I know CA laws and in AZ, anyone can carry loaded with out a permit (excepting certain locations like the bars you mentioned) so since CCW is OK in Arizona, the State Patrol does not seem to be an issue.
Unread 08-13-2018, 03:44 PM   #9
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I transported all of my firearms, including NFA guns, into Az. in my personal vehicle....no problems. Granted, that was years ago, but not much has changed, and Az. is a FREE STATE!! You will not regret your decision to move to Az.
Need DWM breechblock #21
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to rhuff for your post:
Unread 08-13-2018, 05:30 PM   #10
JTD
User

if they are legal in both states, your items, and moving, I do not see why you can be bothered. What would border patrol have to do with it if you stay on this side of Mexico?? I would stay plenty clear of the border. Drive non stop to the AZ border. Make sure you have a detailed inventory list. If still worried, talk to qualified legal advisor.
JTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2018, 06:38 PM   #11
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,547 Times in 951 Posts

Does AZ have a check station from CA ? I guess I have never been through one except entering CA. And all the other States just a sign telling you" you are now entering XXX"
Unread 08-13-2018, 06:39 PM   #12
Bill_in_VA
User

Here is your answer:

18USC 926(A) provides for safe passage. This is part of the 1986 Firearms Owners Protection Act.
Basically, if your guns are lawful at your point of origin and at your final destination you may lawfully transport them across state lines. The caveats are they must be unloaded and cased and you may only make reasonable stops during your travel. (Supper at Denny’s, a night at the Motel 6, etc. are fine. An overnight visit to the Grand Canyon or a few days layover at Cousin Bob’s are not.)

Remember too: don’t speed or do anything to draw attention to yourself, and don’t talk to cops, border patrol, etc. It’s none of their business what you are lawfully in possession of and are lawfully transporting .

Here’s your relevant section of the US Code: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926A

18 U.S. Code § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
John 8:32

reive (riːv) vb (Military) (intr) dialect Scot and Northern English to go on a plundering raid
[variant of reave]
ˈreiver n e.g., " Some view the Border Reivers as loveable rogues."
Bill_in_VA is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 7 members says Thank You to Bill_in_VA for your post:
Unread 08-13-2018, 07:09 PM   #13
sdmark777
User

Yes Bill, AZ has a Border Patrol check point on I-8 just after you leave Yuma heading East. They don't just look for Illegals, they also investigate narcotics trafficking and anything else they can find. Not all Agents are knowledgeable about all laws, especially firearm laws and they tend to get excited when they see shiny objects, like lots of guns. I just want to have the info to keep them from getting too excited about me. No, I won't be volunteering, but when you have gun safes it becomes obvious.
Thanks also to Bill in VA, that section is just what I've been looking for.
I guess that answers my question. Thanks everyone. Now I will have to find out if there is a limit on how much ammunition or gun powder you can drive down the freeway! Sorry for the paranoia, but that is just how it is, when you are a law abiding citizen living under communist anti-gun rule in Commiefornia.
Unread 08-13-2018, 07:16 PM   #14
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Bill in VA, while I agree with everything that you say, there are states where I would NOT transport thru, New Jersey being one. Regardless what the law says, they seem to make up their own rules.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to DavidJayUden for your post:
Unread 08-13-2018, 08:45 PM   #15
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

Tks all, eric
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2018, 09:39 PM   #16
Lyn Islaub
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

There is no border control checkpoint when exiting California into Arizona on I-10. I travel it often.
Lyn
Lyn Islaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2018, 10:57 PM   #17
gunnertwo
User

There are no restrictions in transportation of your property from state to state (especially AZ). They should be unloaded and securely locked in your choice of container. As long as you are not breaking some law (speeding, etc) they have no right to stop you. No matter what they say, the police cannot search your vehicle unless they believe a violation has occurred. If they ask to search your vehicle then they have no reason to search. Do not agree to any search. 18 USC sect.926A, also known as the Firearm Owners Protection Act allows transportation of those evil black weapons and high capacity magazines through states that prohibit such things as long as you are passing through and do not stop (except for gas, meals etc.). Print a copy of the law and have it with you. Sometimes the "lawman" doesn't know the exemptions. That should not be an issue with your collection. I probably
said more than necessary but better to have more info than less. Congrats on you moving to a "Free" state. I'm doing the same to Idaho next year. Oregon is becoming more stupid each day.

G2
gunnertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2018, 11:25 PM   #18
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,509 Posts

There are restrictions defined by fire codes and Federal DOT concerning transporting ammunition components like primers and powder.

https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads...oc-Primers.pdf

It's limited to 25,000 primers in a vehicle.

Powder is limited to 100 lbs:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/173.171

and it has to be packaged inside inner packages (i.e. 8 lbs).

I believe California has special laws on transporting loaded ammunition:

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015...transportation

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/travel
Unread 08-13-2018, 11:46 PM   #19
MikeP
User

A big thing is to investigate just what you are allowed to have in California. Also what is involved with bringing them into the state.
Freedom ain't what it used to be.
I don't think internet lawyers are your best source of information.
I'd look at info from someone in authority who is there.
MikeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2018, 08:56 AM   #20
Bill_in_VA
User

Everyone’s waaaaaaaaaay over-thinking this:

Pack your unloaded and cased guns, your ammo, your accessories, etc. in your vehicle and drive to your destination. Obey the traffic laws, don’t give the cops any reason to stop you, keep your mouth shut if you do end up talking to them, and njoy your journey to newfound freedom. Stop trying to figure out USDOT hazmat commercial restrictions, extra-legal state regulations, etc.
926(A) guarantees you peaceable journey.
John 8:32

reive (riːv) vb (Military) (intr) dialect Scot and Northern English to go on a plundering raid
[variant of reave]
ˈreiver n e.g., " Some view the Border Reivers as loveable rogues."
Bill_in_VA is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Bill_in_VA for your post: