LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 03-29-2016, 03:49 AM   #1
Brien
User

Default which wwii luger should I be looking for?

I have added a wwii luger to the list of pistols I'd like to add an example of to my collection. I am looking for something midrange. Authentic, in good condition that I could conceivably take to the range every now and again.

I am kind of stumped as to what to set my sights on. A letter code? A byf, an S/42?????? I get confused with all the special terms/selling points. Krieghoff, sneak pistols, black widows etc. I know some are just marketing.

What would you folks recommend? I am thinking maybe a byf or s/42??

As always, any reply is greatly appreciated, so thank you in advance for taking time out to answer
Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2016, 08:21 AM   #2
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,442 Times in 2,330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brien View Post
What would you folks recommend? I am thinking maybe a byf or s/42??
Those are both Mausers; an excellent choice for a 'starter' Luger. Besides the toggle codes, I prefer a chamber date as well [1937 in my case].

I am attracted to RC/VoPo refurbs. Their provenance didn't stop in 1945; they were issued or stored by the Eastern Bloc for many years afterward. They are all 'good' parts and almost all have new barrels. Price is under a grand too.

But that's just me. Others have valid reasons for their choices.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2016, 08:29 AM   #3
FNorm
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I'd go with 1936-1942

FN
FNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2016, 08:35 AM   #4
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,350 Times in 2,040 Posts

Hi and welcome.
Good question, as they say on TV.

You can't go wrong with a Mauser from K to 1942 date for a first Luger- but it is really easy to pay too much for one. Not because there are few, but because they are "Nazi"; though some variants, like the K date are scarcer that others.

There are also many sub-variants that "collectors" chase- so I would study for a month or three before buying. Watch the auctions online, read all the threads here. You may get a good one on the trader here for a fair price.

Decide if you want a "rig", meaning with a holster, spare clip, loading tool with the pistol.

You can find a lesser condition, maybe with a mismatch part, pistol with mismatched clip for under $1000 if you are patient; or pay over $2700 for one. Even more for a rig. Do you want one with "bring back" papers?

Check out the offerings online by Legacy Collectibles and Simpson's; they have many Mausers and others, but also high retail prices.

And don't forget, most earlier lugers were still used in WWII, many have evidence of this stamped into their steel.

Oh, and most important, don't forget books- Jan Still's volume on 3rd Reich lugers would be a good one to have.

But do go back and read all the posts here in your area of interest.

Hope this helps.
Unread 03-29-2016, 10:04 AM   #5
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,509 Posts

So, you should start your quest with some reading and some decisions about what you want in a gun.

WW-II Lugers basically leave you looking for one made by Mauser or Krieghoff. The prohibitive cost of Krieghoff Lugers probably will stear you toward a Masuer.

They made them from 1934 through 1942. The concealment codes were "S/42", "42", and "byf" on the toggle.

If you want to shoot your Luger, don't pay for an all matching collector grade gun. Look for one with some mismatched parts - perhaps an upper receiver from one gun and a frame from another (both Mauser made). Or one with some finish condition issues.

Costs in the $1,000 to $1,200 should be achievable for a shooter grade gun in good mechanical and shooting condition.

If you want a collectible, plan on spending about 35% more. All matching in 90% condition with a mismatch magazine is typical.

If you plan on something more expensive, start first by buying the books and studying. Take the time and go to "Luger University".

I've been reworking the FAQs, and they are a good start. Just look on this site for them.

Marc
Unread 03-29-2016, 10:16 AM   #6
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

Hi Brien,

I've noticed that you joined this forum 10 years ago, so I suppose you know more than the average about LUGERS. You ask what gun to get to take to the range, well I would advise you to get a P08 made in 1942 by Mauser, they are not that rare and if you look for a Russian capture you won't pay a fortune for it.

Good luck and shoot safe!
Unread 03-29-2016, 03:33 PM   #7
Brien
User

Sergio,

Wow, has it been 10 yrs? I bounced out of the hobby because it seemed a bit too expensive. Of course i was looking for a navy model when i started. Still am. Missed two absolute jewels just this past week. Lugers have always been an interest, but most times it's been placed on the back burner.

Taking a look back, after investing in my current hobbies of airline memorabilia and 1957 Era medals, I probably could have afforded a luger or two. It's just sticker shock that gets me. Kinda like the frog in the pot. It's easy to drop $1000.00 if it's 20-50 at a time spread out a bit. Not so all at once.

I have been watching priced steadily rise lately. I have decided that I had better get what I need before they go out of budget again.

Thank you and all who replied. This is the year.
Unread 03-29-2016, 03:42 PM   #8
Brien
User

Sergio,

Wow, has it been 10 yrs? I bounced out of the hobby because it seemed a bit too expensive. I think i was looking for a navy model when i started. Still am. Missed two absolute jewels just this past week that i should have gone ahead and financed for.Lugers have always been an interest, but most times it's been placed on the back burner.

Taking a look back, after investing in my current hobbies of airline memorabilia and 1957 Era medals, I probably could have afforded a luger or two. It's just sticker shock that gets me. Kinda like the frog in the pot. It's easy to drop $1000.00 if it's 20-50 at a time spread out a bit. Not so all at once.

I have been watching priced steadily rise lately. I have decided that I had better get what I need before they go out of budget again.

Thank you and all who replied. This is the year. Both a Navy and a tr.
Unread 04-05-2016, 09:34 PM   #9
Geo99
User

Brien,

I know what you mean about spending in bits & pieces. I just look back and see it's easy to drop $20000 if it's $1000 or two at a time, spread out over few years. Sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't just sell everything and buy a couple really expensive Lugers (You see, I have this addiction...)

I think Marc's estimate of $1500 for a nice all matching 90% is OK for a 1938-42 Mauser, but more like $1800 and up for the earlier ones. I personally prefer the earlier strawed Mausers (just think they're prettier) but they do cost more. K date is a whole lot more.

Good luck on finding a nice Navy Luger - bring cash, lots of it!

- Geo

PS> what is "tr."?
Unread 04-05-2016, 11:11 PM   #10
Brien
User

Geo,

tr is crappy shorthand typing for Third Reich