LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 11-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,531 Times in 943 Posts
Default Mailing handguns

I realize this has been discussed before. However I would like to know the legal way to ship handguns. I realize USPS is out for C&R holders. Our UPS says only by overnight priority mail. If other than overnight is used and handgun is lost or stolen enroute no insurance will be paid. Federal Express is the same.
All overnight is expensive ($80 +) However if lost or stolen you are SOL if other than overnight is used.
I for one cannot afford to gamble on it arriving safely if using some other type mail
Is there any other legal option which will cover you? Bill
Unread 11-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Perhaps ask a Class 01 FFL holder to ship it USPS.

A small Class 01 FFL fee at the sending end may contribute less to the total cost of shipment via the other carriers.

I'll check the other discussions, but I think that the USPS rules for C&R to C&R are still not clearly understood. This has resulted in permission to ship being granted by individual postmasters. If this is wrong (and has been updated since I last checked the discussions), apologies.

Marc
The following member says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 11-09-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
Mike B
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

My post office personnel tells me it is OK to mail a handgun as long as you are mailing from one license holder to another. A copy of your C&R/FFL must be enclosed in the carton.

Mike
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #4
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

My post office postmaster had me attach a copy of our licenses (both sender and receiver) in a stick on plastic bag, folded so that they were not visible without removing them.

It was a good solution.

Also was told it was OK to enter USPS property (including parking lot) with an unloaded handgun sealed up for shipment. Unwrap it for any reason on their property and it's a rather big problem.

Marc
Unread 11-09-2012, 07:40 PM   #5
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Your Post Offices are not accurate.

In order to mail Handguns thru the Postal System, you must file a Form 1508 at the time of shipment. (Copy attached)

The form clearly states the Postal rules - namely that you have to be a dealer or manufacturer of firearms, and the addresses have to be a a dealer or manufacturer of firearms - and the shipment has to a customary trade shipment, etc.

A C&R license does not authorize, directly or indirectly, the shipment of handguns thru the postal system. Bad advice, although meant to be helpful, wold not keep you out of trouble.

If you have a C&R license, ship a handgun by FedEx or UPS.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1508-form.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	29956  

Unread 11-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #6
goldwing
User

My postmaster says that it is legal to ship via USPS as long as the receiver is also licensed with a C & R. I have shipped and received from all over the US. Bill
goldwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 10:52 PM   #7
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

No offense Goldwing, but I would strongly suggest that you ask your postmaster to read the following Postal Regulation --- they are clear and to the point. And remember, ignorance of the law or postal rules is not a defense.

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

432 Mailability
432.1 General

The following conditions apply:

Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person (referred to as “handguns”) are nonmailable in the domestic mail, except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.1.
The disassembled parts of a handgun or other type of nonmailable firearm that can be readily reassembled as a weapon are nonmailable, except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.1 or 601.11.2.
Unloaded antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces are generally permitted, as specified in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.2.
Unloaded rifles and shotguns may be mailed if the mailer fully complies with the Gun Control Act of 1968 (Public Law 90—618) and
18 U.S.C. 921. The mailer may be required to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not excluded from mailing because of the restrictions in 432.1b and c.

Exhibit 432.1

Mailability Requirements for Firearms

Unloaded Handgun

Handguns — e.g., pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person — are nonmailable UNLESS mailed by a licensed manufacturer of firearms, or a licensed dealer of firearms, or an authorized agent of the federal government or government of a state, territory, or district, and ONLY when addressed to a person in one of the following categories for use in the person’s official duties AND upon filing the required affidavit or certificate, as applicable (see DMM 601.11.1.3–7):

Addressee: Officer of Army, Coast Guard, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, or Organized Reserve Corps.
Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the commanding officer.
Addressee: Officer of National Guard or militia of a state, territory, or district.
Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the commanding officer.
Addressee: Officer of the federal government or a state, district, or territory whose official duty is to serve warrants of arrest or commitment.
Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the head of the agency employing the addressee.
Addressee: Postal Service employees specifically authorized by the Chief Postal Inspector.
Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the head of the agency employing the addressee.
Addressee: Officer or employee of a U.S. enforcement agency.
Addressee: Watchman engaged in guarding federal, state, district, or territory property.
Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by chief clerk of department, bureau, or independent branch of the government agency employing the addressee.
Addressee: Purchasing agent or other designated member of an enforcement agency employing officers and personnel included in c, d, or e above.
Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the head of agency stating the firearm is to be used by an officer or employee cited in c, d, or e above.
Addressee: Licensed manufacturers and dealers of firearms.
Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Signed statement on PS Form 1508, Statement by Shipper of Firearms.

The mailer must be a licensed manufacturer or dealer mailing to another licensed manufacturer or dealer.

Handguns may be mailed without regard to the requirements noted in items a–h if the addressee is the FBI (or its Director) or a scientific lab or crime detection bureau of any agency whose members are federal law enforcement officers, or state, district, or territory officers authorized to serve warrants of arrest or commitment.

Manufacturers or dealers must complete PS Form 1508, Statement by Shipper of Firearms, and file with the postmaster.

Postmasters may forward an unsatisfactory mailer statement to their PCSC for a ruling.

Unloaded Rifle or Shotgun

Short-barreled rifles or shotguns that can be concealed on the person are nonmailable.

The mailer must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968 and with state and local laws.

The Postal Service may require the mailer to open the parcel or give written certification that the weapon is unloaded and not concealable.

Registered Mail service is recommended.

Unloaded Antique Firearm

Unloaded antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces are acceptable for mailing.

432.2 PS Form 1508

PS Form 1508, Statement by Shipper of Firearms, must be completed by each firearm manufacturer or dealer who deposits firearms for mailing. The form must be filed with the postmaster of the post office of mailing.
432.3 Packaging and Marking

No markings of any kind that indicate the nature of the contents may be placed on the outside wrapper or container of any mailpiece containing firearms. Mailable matter must be properly and securely packaged within the general packaging requirements in DMM 601.1–8.
Unread 11-09-2012, 10:51 PM   #8
LWaali
User

After recently looking into this myself for the Luger I just sold, reading all regulations, and after talking to USPS Post Master and the ATFE so that all bases were covered... The most affordable way for me to ship, safely, insured, and legal, was to use a local Firearms Dealer and pay him the transfer fee and he to ship USPS Priority, Insured. I was able to find a local place that did it for $20 plus actual shipping. He packed it, transfered it, and labled the box for shipping then had me deliver it (and the post office form he filled out) to the post office so I would only hve to pay actual shipping and insurance. There is one catch that might be a problem for some people.. you HAVE to have proof of YOUR ownership of the gun or the retail shop has to hold it for 30 days to comply with police/stolen property laws. I think that was a Washington law but I am not sure. I did have the purchasing paperwork so it was not a problem for me. Also, another advantage of doing it this way, the buyer had the opertunity to call the shop it was being held at to verify possession, condition, etc before sending payment. The shop held it until payment cleared and it was shipped. Pretty painless but the transfer fee and shipping added up to about $40 incl ins while FedEx and UPS was $80 some.

Last edited by LWaali; 11-09-2012 at 11:02 PM. Reason: clairifcation
LWaali is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 11:46 PM   #9
Curly1
User

Use an FFL01 mine ships for $20 insured priority mail with signature and $30 fee, it's on his books also, I'm covered.

Gary
Curly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2012, 02:37 AM   #10
MikeP
User

Big nope on C&R to C&R or FFL to C&R thru the mail,

I have bought a number of handguns with my C&R last few years and fools continue to send them right to me.
Found a nice 1937 S/42 on my porch once.

No way anyone could have reported a loss on any of these pieces.
I always require shipment to a 01 friend these days.
The other thing that bugs me is that some sellers don't include any kind of bill of sale or lisence copies.
MikeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2012, 07:15 AM   #11
Ice
User

I would use the FFL01 dealer. That way the transaction is clean and you're covered.

Charlie
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2012, 06:45 PM   #12
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Charlie
That's true but the receiver must be a Class 1 also. Seems most of the collectorrs are C&R. So if I want to use USPS I need to pay a dealer to send it and the receiver must pay a dealer to receive it. Now we are back to $80 or better. Our local dealer charges $25 for use of his license and $50 shipping. No gain there. The problem is when I sell a luger and say $80 shipping I get a bunch of you know what. I always hear it can be shipped for $30 and you want $80. Probably can be but with no protection for me or even legal. Bill
Unread 11-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #13
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Yes Bill. Both sides of the transaction, have to be dealers if the USPS is used.

You will get complaints as you say and if you notice from the replies in this thread (a) there are those who think it is OK to ship by USPS when they do not have an 01 license and (b) even some post office employees do not know what is right and permitted.

I will say that it may not cost $50 to ship by the USPS. There are flat priority mail boxes for which the postage is not too expensive. Under $16.00 or $12.00 I think depending on the size. Delivery receipt is extra. The insurance is where the cost gets expensive. The buyer could decide if he wants to pay for insurance.

But if your dealer insists on $50, not much can be done.
Unread 11-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #14
www.prussia.us
User

Now if you all just had the stupid rules of NY, you would have to receive and sell handguns through a dealer, not just any 01 mind you, but one certified by NY to handle handguns, the 03 is no good here for handguns it is all soooooo silly.

I have to say even the extra shipping cost it must be nice to have the freedom to sell/buy and not have to wait and go through all the crazy state-red tape.
www.prussia.us is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2012, 10:14 PM   #15
LWaali
User

$50 for shipping plus the transfer? Find another dealer.. that is highway robbery. Find one that charges actual cost. Maybe see if a gunsmith or pawn shop in the area is willing to do it.

As for the fee that the buyer has to pay, let them figure out who in their area is affordable.. their fee to keep it legal is not part of the price you have to figure.

Just because some people get away with doing it other ways is not reason enough to risk having your entire collection confiscated or jail time.
LWaali is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2012, 11:28 PM   #16
Curly1
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWaali View Post
$50 for shipping plus the transfer? Find another dealer.. that is highway robbery. Find one that charges actual cost. Maybe see if a gunsmith or pawn shop in the area is willing to do it.

As for the fee that the buyer has to pay, let them figure out who in their area is affordable.. their fee to keep it legal is not part of the price you have to figure.

Just because some people get away with doing it other ways is not reason enough to risk having your entire collection confiscated or jail time.
+1 I figure the transfer fee is on my end also and figure that into the price I have to pay. $50 shipping fee is a rip off, yes find somone else who won't bone you.

Gary
Curly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2012, 12:27 AM   #17
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Finding dealers close is not all that easy in rural Montana. Guess I will keep using overnight UPS. My problem is I remember when we could ship them USPS very cheaply and legally. Oh well old age is hell. Bill
Unread 11-11-2012, 08:11 AM   #18
CJS57
User

USPS's stupid and unthought out new regulation helps nothing except UPS and Fedex profits.
CJS57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #19
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

That's the whole point of goverment.......
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #20
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts

Remember, thre are three types of next day air, and some idiots at ups or FedEx will tell you it has to be the next day priority... The most expensive.

Rules just say expedited / next day air.

I also do everything on line, save several dollars each time I ship USPS, ups or FedEx...

With USPS, the delivery confirmation is free and automatically done with on line...
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote