LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 05-25-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
Hugo Borchardt
User

Default Gunbroker Search Tip

I rarely purchase anything through GB but like to continually watch items of interest. Thought someone might get a kick out of how I search Gunbroker. See below. Unchecking "New" and "New Old Stock" eliminates most ammunition from the search, and adding "-jackson" eliminates all of Jackson Armory's online inventory that continue to relist and IMO clutter the search results. I will also select "New within 48 (or 24 hours)" to further limit the list. I am aggravated that you can't exclude relistings from the search results, and that relistings are still considered "new within 24/48 hours". Also am do not like that "C&R" and "Semi-auto pistols" are separate categories, so I don't bother to filter by category. This normally at least gives me the new items even though it includes a lot of relistings.

Often I will click "No Reserve", as in the example below, to attempt to see who is actually trying to sell their item, rather than post their inventory online. Unfortunately someone can put an item with no reserve, but have a starting price of $10,000 and get around this.

I know you can use the saved searches but this requires login and often my login is lost and that takes extra steps. The advanced search allows you to select multiple categories and price range, etc, but takes additional clicks and to me is just aggravating to someone that wants to just check out the new lugers posted, sometimes several times a day.

This serves my daily quick perusal needs pretty good.

Tips are appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gunbroker search.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	26581  

My militaria collection is dedicated to the memory of my Grandfather, Marine Gunnery Sergeant Dave Hill, Jr., wounded in action at The Assault of the Second Marine Division on Betio Island, Tarawa Atoll, 20-23 November, 1943. http://www.tarawa1943.com/pages/casualties%20tarawa.htm

Last edited by Hugo Borchardt; 05-25-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Hugo Borchardt is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Hugo Borchardt for your post:
Unread 05-25-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,442 Times in 2,330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Borchardt View Post
...and adding "-jackson" eliminates all of Jackson Armory's online inventory that continue to relist and IMO clutter the search results...
Clark -

I appreciate your post; it should help a lot of the new bidders...but I thought this line was especially funny...

I would also add the guy/gunshop in Nanuet NY who lists handguns but refuses to answer emails/questions about his wares...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 05-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
zinfull
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

GB changed the search engine and now you can not search sold items to get an idea of what are the going prices. I try to buy an item and get the feed back of "on GB they are selling for $XXX." but it is an asking price and the item has not sold for months. +1 on jackson clutter.

jerry
zinfull is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to zinfull for your post:
Unread 05-25-2012, 07:11 PM   #4
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfull View Post
GB changed the search engine and now you can not search sold items to get an idea of what are the going prices.
I just did a GB Search/Advanced/Completed Items for my last two purchases (both Star BMs) and the prices are all listed...For all sold Star BMs...

(I chose Star BM's because I knew if mine weren't listed, my Search criteria were wrong...but they were there...along with a couple hundred others...the Spanish Police and the Israeli Police are dumping them en masse...)
The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 05-26-2012, 10:52 AM   #5
zinfull
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thank you for the information. I used the old standard search drop down menu and it gave the option of current to sold 90 days. It change to the new format and now has only the for sale items. I never went to the advance menu because of the poor quality of the old search engine. Now if they just had an option to filter dealers who will not sell to CA.

jerry
zinfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfull View Post
Thank you for the information. I used the old standard search drop down menu...
Jerry - I wasn't criticizing, but I forgot that GB had been Beta-testing the 'new' version of their software for a year or so and I've been using it...I don't even know if the 'old' version is still online...

Filtering this auction site is a pain...There seem to be a lot of sellers who can't spell (I have my filter set to -holsters and I get hits for 'hostlers'...)

...Plus, the last two auctions I won because the sellers really don't know what they've got...they're using the foreign language abbreviations for "Incorporated" on the slide as the pistol model number...

Sometimes, it pays to *not* use filters, and make your Search as vague as possible...