LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 05-20-2011, 11:34 PM   #1
KAR120c
New User

Default Need Help Can somone help determine the value of 2 lugers?

My father has passed away, and he left me 2 German lugers, according to him. He told me they were from WWII. He got both of them from a Vetran. I am out of my element and would greatly appreciate any assistance. I have a camera on my phone...but the quality is not the best. I will give a detailed description of both and can post some pics if need be.

To begin both have all matching parts from what I can tell...again I am amature so any mis-information is definately my fault.....and again I can't stress that I don't know what I am doing and I am not trying to pretned so.....please bear with me and I apologize if I do or say anything wrong.

As you look at the top of the first pistol it say 1940...then on the sliding shaft it says simply 42....along the cocking mechanism it has a stamp of what looks like a very small german eagle holding a swastika.....it is so small...my eyes may be lying to me.

On the reverse side opposite of the the button to release teh clip their are 3 eagles...under the first 2 they have the number 655 under both of them...and the 3rd eagle seems to be a german eagle with a swastika.....their is a 4th eagle on the barrel...again german eagle with a swastika. The part numbers on the pistol are 9675....with 75 on all the other parts. On the trigger guard there is a symbol that looks like a lower case cursive "F" maybe......their is also a a stam on waht looks like close to the top of the barrel that looks like a an eagle with 655 on it again. I hope this helps and is descriptive...I would be happy to answer questions and post pics if necessary.

The seond pistol is marked G at the top of the shaft...with S/42. On the reverse side it has again 3 stamps on the opposite side of the clip release with what looks like a W 154, an S92, and an odd symbol...close to a childs drawwing of a sun with rays coming off of it...again I'm sorry for my lack of knowledge...I'm sure this sybol has a proper name....it is also on the barrel as the 4th symbol in the row. On the trigger guard it looks like a mark of G ...again. The numbers on the pistol are 4713....and 13 is present on all the parts.

I feel both of the pistols are in great shape......both have a second clip...but only 1 of the clips look like they are original.....one of the clips is plastic on the end...so I feel is was post WWII. I am looking for any information, or value. I don't know what to do with them...but if they are something that a collector would be interested in.....I feel that is what my father would want me to do with them. I look forward to any response, and greatly appreciate any help!!

Last edited by KAR120c; 05-21-2011 at 02:15 AM.
KAR120c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2011, 02:17 AM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts

Welcome to the forum, pictures, clear and full left and right and top are needed.

both are WW2 vintage made by Mauser

The 'G" date is 1935 and was a code, and the S/42 is the code name for Mauser

the 1940 is the date and the 42 is the code for Mauser

The stamps on the right are military acceptance stamps and are normal.

the last 2 of the serial number should be on most small parts, a listing of what small parts is in the FAQ at the top of the page.

To figure out what you have and then ask a fair price (to you and the buyer), you can go on gunbroker and Simpson LTD and check prices. gunbroker you must check SOLD items and not the crazy prices folks ask and it never sells. Simpson has a very good reputation, but they are retail and one of the higher ones around.

condition and originality mean everything in the collector world.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2011, 02:54 AM   #3
KAR120c
New User

Thank you very much for the info.......it was extreemely helpful......I really apprecite it......I will follow your advice and check those sites.......

Much Grattitiude.......

KAR120c......
Unread 05-21-2011, 03:35 AM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Of course, and I sound like a broken record, but for collectable guns, condition is everything.

And I am sorry for your loss.

Ed
Unread 05-21-2011, 03:43 AM   #5
KAR120c
New User

Thank you for your concerns........yes....any pics would be fine......what do u want ....
Unread 05-21-2011, 03:49 AM   #6
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

pictures, clear and full left and right and top are needed.
Unread 06-03-2011, 06:33 PM   #7
KAR120c
New User

I have added pics under my profile.....I apologize for the wait, and hope they are what everyone is looking for.
Unread 06-03-2011, 11:20 PM   #8
MFC
User

Hi Erik,
The G date has been reblued. It should be rust blued with straw colored small parts... trigger, takedown lever, thumb safety, mag release button, and ejector. This will decrease it's value considerably. It's ashame because it has the original matching mag. The full serial# is 4713c.
The 1940-42 looks nice but with flash photos is hard to tell if it has the original blueing. Take photos in natural light in a shaded area or on an overcast day. The colors will be truer. Also use a darker background so the subject will show up lighter and show more detail.