LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 10-21-2010, 08:20 AM   #1
Mike B
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Question Shipping a non C&R handgun

Can anyone give me an opinion on shipping a handgun that is not C&R eligible. I know it must be shipped to an FFL holder, but can I ship the handgun without an FFL?

Thanks,
Mike:
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 08:47 AM   #2
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

As long as it is shipped to an 01 FFL, you can do so. Will have to use UPS or FedEx.

Sometimes, the shipper may want to see a copy of the 01 FFL. Other times they don't.
Unread 10-21-2010, 09:25 AM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

It also depends on the receiving FFL holder... Some of them refuse to accept gun shipments from anyone except another FFL holder... BUT it is legal.

Mike, in your case you should have no trouble shipping it as a C&R license holder to a FFL.

As stated above, you can't use the Postal Service legally... (but I know it happens because it is cheaper to ship it that way... "you pays your money and you takes your chances")

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 02:32 PM   #4
Mike B
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanks guys,
I am seriously considering offering for sale a NIB NRA commerative Ruger 22. I want to be prepared on how to handle shipping.

Thanks again,
Mike
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 03:17 PM   #5
JRS
User

A couple of weeks ago I shipped a Luger to Ahlman's in Minnesota for refinishing. UPS wanted me to jump through a bunch of hoops to do it, so I took it to FedEx and, without telling them what it was, shipped it for $11.00. It got there in three days. Ahlman's makes it a point on their web site to inform gun owners that it is legal to ship to them provided you are not selling the gun.

The only thing that disturbs me is that I think Ahlman's is going to require that it be sent back to an FFL. So, that means I am going to have to pay my gun dealer another transfer fee on a gun that I have already paid them six months ago to transfer to me.

One other thing that distresses me is that I did not go to Thor's web site before all of this. If I had, the gun would now be in his obviously capable hands. If you have not seen his work on Lugers, you should do yourself a favor and click on his web site for some absolutely fabulous pictures of his work.
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 09:31 PM   #6
Michael Zeleny
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRS View Post
A couple of weeks ago I shipped a Luger to Ahlman's in Minnesota for refinishing. UPS wanted me to jump through a bunch of hoops to do it, so I took it to FedEx and, without telling them what it was, shipped it for $11.00. It got there in three days.
Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. Please see 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A) and 922(e), and 27 CFR 178.31.
Unread 10-21-2010, 04:36 PM   #7
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

It is LEGAL for an FFL holder to receive a gun from a non-license holder, and for that FFL holder to ship the gun back to the owner... But as stated earlier... SOME FFL holders will only deal with other FFL holders on interstate transactions because they don't understand the law, or in some cases, it is just their policy to only deal with another FFL holder. Your refinisher should return the gun to you in a legal manner and without your local FFL getting involved unless you local state law says otherwise.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 09:10 PM   #8
Ray
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

The shipping charges for UPS and FedEx are exorbanant. They want you
to send it by next day delivery. I tried to send a little pocket pistol to the
midwest from here in Oregon and both companies wanted in excess of $80.
I notice on GunBroker that these sellers quote $50 or less. How do they
do that? Are their any cheaper alternatives to UPS/FedEx?
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2010, 06:39 PM   #9
JRS
User

Oops!

I didn't realize there was such a law. But after reading your link to the law, it makes me wonder why if the carrier is forbidden to label the package a firearm what difference does it make as to what is in the package? If the package was labeled a firearm, you can bet it would never reach its destination. It would be stolen.
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2010, 03:45 AM   #10
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts

You know,one thing has always puzzeled me;

It states contract carriers, so that is assumed to be UPS or FedEX, but could be DHL, etc. Technically, the USPS is not a gov't entity, and why they are exempted, I have always found weird. Plus, the technicalities state that an FFL can ship via USPS, and in another place it states dealer.

I guess someone should write the BATF and ask that question / but I think most folks don't want it more clear but skirt the issue....

Ed

Michael; your link states
Quote:
(2) for any importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector licensed under the provisions of this chapter to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm to any person other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, except that—
(A) this paragraph and subsection (b)(3) shall not be held to preclude a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector from returning a firearm or replacement firearm of the same kind and type to a person from whom it was received; and this paragraph shall not be held to preclude an individual from mailing a firearm owned in compliance with Federal, State, and local law to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector;
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2010, 12:03 PM   #11
cfc
New User

Default Ship by USPS

Here is the form you need to fill out to mail your firearm:

http://www.usps.com/forms/_pdf/ps1508.pdf

It did say you have to be a firearm manufacturer or dealer. C&R license is not a dealer license.
cfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2010, 12:28 PM   #12
lfid
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I think box labeled "firearm" screams steal me now

some time ago the usps used to allow mailing short and long guns as typical mail packages but required the bold "firearm" label

possibly the current law was written before the popularity/existence of usps priority mail and maybe the overnite shippers lobby was a factor and perhaps the postal service didnt need the money at the time

I suppose the ups and fedex fees could be considered "stay out of jail" or "avoid the lawyer" premiums

Bill
lfid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2010, 12:50 PM   #13
zinfull
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I believe that UPS and FedEx uses next day air to get more money from a captive group. Also that there are so many thieves that work for them it makes it harder to steal. Either way we are at their mercy.

jerry
zinfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2010, 02:21 PM   #14
Ron Smith
User

UPS requires overnight delivery due a series of internal firearms thefts in the late 90's. I was present at a local shop when a new Glock was delivered by UPS in circa '98. The gun hard case was in the box, and was empty. The strapping tape had been slit with a razor(?) and carefully re-taped.

Never label the outside of a box as a firearm. If the carrier requires this (I have never heard of it) find another carrier.

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote