LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Luger Accessories

Unread 07-26-2006, 11:58 PM   #1
bg45
User

Default Cleaning rods

I have read several posts on cleaning rods and seen a few of them but I am baffled as to how they work. They don't look like anything I've ever used to clean a gun. They are much smaller than the diameter of the barrel. Do you push a cleaning patch through with them?
bg45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2006, 02:02 AM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts

Well, to me they look like a cleaning rod with the end already attached? In the US Army we had rod shaped the same except it had a hole for the patch to go through. The german ones the patch just slides over the top. A cleaning kit from say hoppes has a small pistol rod that you attach a metal or plastic piece. It can be holllow for a patch or solid, and each is much smaller than the bore.

The WW2 kits were multi purpose and had a chain that you pulled the patch through the bore.

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2006, 11:13 AM   #3
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,122 Times in 1,433 Posts

Gentlemen, The cleaning rod was multi functional. Cleaning rod was something of a misnomer. It was used to push an oiled patch, clear the bore of debris and push out stuck cartridges or spent brass. The German rod provided could not really provide very thourough cleaning use but was still usefull in many ways. These were meant for field use. Found on 1934 holsters, Police, Imperial Navy and Artillery as well as some others I fail to mention. A thourough cleaning would involve at least some solvent, small toothbrush and like Ed says a copper brush pulled through the bore and barrel. A cloth patch would also be handy. These items were probably not readily available to the average German Soldier in the field. Perhaps there was a field armorer who provided these. Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2006, 12:25 AM   #4
bg45
User

There is just something about pushing a steel rod into a gun barrel that makes me nervous. I'd be so afraid of damaging the bore. Thanks for the info. You guys help make me smarter.
bg45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2006, 10:32 AM   #5
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,122 Times in 1,433 Posts

Bill, I don't recommend you do it either. You have to remember these were field expedients. Meant to be used when needed. The Germans also used brass tips and muzzle protectors. Actually the bore is least in need of cleaning. The chamber areas need it much more after fireing. Another thing, rust was probably a bigger problem than fouling. When shooting I have found a rod to be important on the range to clear stoppages. Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote