LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 03-26-2006, 02:42 PM   #1
BooneSmith
New User

Default Value of a 1917 Erfurt?

It seems to be all original but the grips. It comes with a holster and two magazines. The lower of one mag appears to be a hand/homemade replacement but the other has serial numbers on it but they dont match.

What can you kind folks tell me about this gem? It has a 4 digit serial number and I think its in 80% condition (just my opinion. I know the pics arent that great, but its the best my camera and I have been able to do.

[IMG]http://image-hosting.hostwire.com/images/BooneSmith/dscf0244.jpg
[/IMG]

BooneSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2006, 04:51 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts

Ken,

Your pictures are hard to tell much of your luger. The grips appear to be either very worn or smoothed by someone. If it has been reblued the value would be around $500, plus another $100 + or - for the holster.

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2006, 04:51 PM   #3
Ron Smith
User

Hi Ken,

Welcome to the forum. I would guess value to be around $700ish for the pistol. Add another $125-$150+ for the holster. Are there any markings or dates on the holster?

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2006, 07:56 PM   #4
BooneSmith
New User

On the back of the holster it says Genschow & Co. Berlin, it has the Eagle and dated 1938. I was told that this was WWI, but just from the holster I have to think it was WWII.

I know that the pics are terrible, I would have made another attempt at it but I have been running all day and just got back. From what I was told, this gun is just the way it came off the German officer. Nothing has changed since that day. The blueing should be original. Date on the pistol is 1917.
Unread 03-26-2006, 10:40 PM   #5
Ron Smith
User

Ken,

It's very possible that it was captured this way. WWI (Imperial) Lugers were reissued during WWII and often saw service in between. The holster certainly looks to be battle scarred.

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2006, 12:58 AM   #6
BooneSmith
New User

Thanks for the replies guys. The family that I am trying to help by hunting for answers is looking to sell this to raise some emergency funds. They were hoping that its value was double what I am seeing here.

I appreciate you all taking the time to look and post a reply. I wish that I were more able to post better pics, and mostly that this family didnt have to sell an heirloom. Thanks again.
Unread 03-27-2006, 02:05 AM   #7
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts

Boone, it could very well be worth $200-$300, unfortunately everyone thinks their particular luger is worth as much as the very rare and expensive ones. Good clear photos on a site or auction site might surprise them or be close to what Ron and I said

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2006, 11:53 AM   #8
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Ken, welcome to the Lugerforum... whatever you did to take the photo of the holster, you should duplicate to take the photos of the rest of the angles of the luger itself... the distance, lighting, and focus of the holster are fine... try again for better photos. A tripod is highly recommended to eliminate the out of focus condition caused by shutter shake.

in addition to the bluing on the gun being original, it is also very important on whether or not all the parts are matching in number... the last two digit of the serial number should be on most of the parts. If any part differs in the digit from the serial number, the value is substantially reduced from what it would be if all the parts are original as they came from the factory.

Unfortunately, the grips appear to have had the checkering sanded off... this also substantially reduces what the gun would be worth if they had not been modified...

I agree that to sell a family heirloom is a heartbreak... there is no recovery from such a move. Once the heirloom is the property of someone else, it is very unlikely they could ever get it back. Perhaps they can raise the money another way...

I hope this has been helpful... we look forward to more photos.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2006, 12:25 AM   #9
BooneSmith
New User

Thanks for the replies. I have been meaning to take more photos of this gun, but I am married, 4 kids, work a full time+ job and am trying to start my own business as well. Time is at a premium... and none left for me let alone picture time. Maybe I can get caught up enough this weekend to get more/better pics! Thank you!
Unread 04-01-2006, 10:13 AM   #10
Luger_1916

I believe your Luger is in the 600-700 range and add another 175 for the holster.
Unread 04-02-2006, 02:51 AM   #11
Aaron
Banned

Ken, it looks like you forgot to use the macro setting and that's why the pics are so out of focus.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote