LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 08-21-2006, 03:35 AM   #1
emmagee
New User

Default Questions about recently acquired BYF 41 rig

I just picked up a very nice BYF 41 rig complete with holster, two magazines and the loading tool. I will try to get some pics up soon, but in the meantime, I have several questions that should be able to be be answered without pics and before my newley purchased copies of 'Lugers at Random' and Third Reich Lugers' arrives. I'll give the specifics and then ask my few questions.

I would grade the pistol 95%/96% showing a bit of holster wear on the side plate and left side of the barrel; it is all matching, SN 1801 P, including one of the magazines. In addition to the 01 on all parts, the right side of the slide as three waffenamps, two with 655 beneath them and the third with nothing. There is also a waffenamp on the right side of the barrel. On the bottom of the barrel it has the complete SN, 1801, and then 8.81 beneath it.

The holster is black in color and in beautiful condition. It has 'Hunter' and 'HD' written inside of it, so I assume this was either the German soldier it was issued to or another of it previous owners in the past 60+ years. On the back it is stamped 'Karl Bocker,' has WaA234 under the waffenamp and is dated 1936.

The loading tool has a waffenamp, but it is very difficult to make out the letters/numbers underneath at almost looks like 'P3" but that is pure speculation on my part.

As I noted earlier, one magazine is matching, it is the proper fxo mag that has a blued body and aluminum base, which is numbered. The other magazine appears to be unmarked, is silver in color and has an aluminum base.

OK, now for my questions. I really only have three about the gun as it is pretty straight forward. However, what is the '8.81' on the bottom of the barrel? Also, what do the 655's signify, if anything? What does the C suffix indicate?

I believe I read somewhere that some lugers were issued with only one magazine; is that correct and could this unmarked magazine be correct for this gun? I am assuming no since it looks different and I did not see a fxo stamp, but I figured I'd ask those who knw a lot more about this than me.

Since this is a 1941 production gun and the holster is dated 1936, could this be correct? Sem like it would be too early, but, like I said, I'm very ignorant abotu this subject. Also, what are the differences between black and brown holsters? Other than knowing some or brown and some are black, I know nothing else.

Finally, anyone know what this loading too might be and if it might be correct? I know a picture would really help here, but I'm hoping someone might know what loading tool I am talking about.

Sorry for the long post and all the questions, but it's been years since I have had a Luger and I'm excited about getting one in such nice condition. Any help on this subject would be most appreciated; thanks much!!
emmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2006, 07:25 AM   #2
Bob in OH
User

[My Answers are embedded within]

OK, now for my questions. I really only have three about the gun as it is pretty straight forward. However, what is the '8.81' on the bottom of the barrel? [[The distance between the lands, the bore diameter in essence]] Also, what do the 655's signify, if anything? [[An acceptance by the Inspector at Mauser... the 655 was the inspectors number]] What does the C suffix indicate? [[Guns generally, were made in 'blocks' of 10,000, numbered from 1-9999. When they reached 9999, they started to use a suffix 'a', 'b', 'c'... to denote the next group or block of SNs]]

I believe I read somewhere that some lugers were issued with only one magazine; is that correct [[Yours, when issued, had two identical mags with the matching SN and letter suffix, and a inspectors stamp]] and could this unmarked magazine be correct for this gun? [[NO]] I am assuming no since it looks different and I did not see a fxo stamp, but I figured I'd ask those who knw a lot more about this than me.

Since this is a 1941 production gun and the holster is dated 1936, could this be correct? [[Not likely issued together, but Germans carried what they had and certainly GI's brought back whatever. Could have been married postwar too]] Sem like it would be too early, but, like I said, I'm very ignorant abotu this subject. Also, what are the differences between black and brown holsters? [[No sure, but I'd expect a black one for most Army-Heer holsters during WWII]] Other than knowing some or brown and some are black, I know nothing else.

Finally, anyone know what this loading too might be and if it might be correct? [[The tool has two purposes. The hole is attached to the side of the mag and the thumb can now easil depress the spring to release tension on the follower. Otherwise, it's hard to load...Also, the srewdriver end is useful for grip screws]] I know a picture would really help here, but I'm hoping someone might know what loading tool I am talking about.

Sorry for the long post and all the questions, but it's been years since I have had a Luger and I'm excited about getting one in such nice condition. Any help on this subject would be most appreciated; thanks much!!
Bob in OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2006, 01:44 PM   #3
Balder
User

emmagee,

Congrats on your new Luger, sounds like a good one. Does it have wooden grips or the "Black Widow" plastic ones? Like Bob said, the tool can be used for unscrewing the grip screws; however, I am under the impression that the screwdriver end of it is primarily intended to release the firing pin. Pictures of your pistol would be nice!

Balder
Balder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2006, 12:32 PM   #4
emmagee
New User

Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses and apologize for the delay in responding.

I've uploaded some photos of the guns, but can't figure out where to find them on the site to post them, nor can I find any instructions, can anyone offer me any quidence here?

One thing I should point out, I don't know why I listed this as a C suffix, must have been a brain fart, it is a P suffix. Would this be an early or late '41 production gun?

Balder, to answer your question they are the wood grips, which are numbered to the gun.

Thanks again!
emmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2006, 07:16 PM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts

welcome to the forum. As you uploaded each one, you needed to copy the link, instructions were at the upload. If you attempted to upload from the reply box, then it did not work because they were too large.

ed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	upload2.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	1090  

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2006, 08:36 PM   #6
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

emmagee, your 41 byf, S/N 1801p, was completed about February 1941. Yes it's a early one, congratulations!!!
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote