LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 06-07-2004, 01:16 AM   #1
Waschbaer
User

Post AA powders

I am fairly new to reloading, and have only ever used aa nr. 5 in my 9mm and 7,63 mauser loads. However, aa nr. 7 was specifically designed for the 9mm, and I'm wondering if there is actually any benefit in switching powders at this point. Does anybody know how these two (id est aa5,7) compare to the original powder used around wwi? finally, if the original loadings stayed around 1075 fps for 9mm para, why are all the new rounds loaded around 1150+, and should one rather use the lower loads in the parabellum or does it make little difference? Thanks, Tom.
Waschbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2004, 01:32 AM   #2
Mike in Reedley
New User

I've settled on AA#7 as my 9m/m powder. After reloading and shooting pistols for 30 years, I shot my first Luger today, a Mauser 70's era with a 4" bbl. It rarely works out for me this way, but today the first load I tried worked GREAT. 7.2 grains of AA#7, with a 125 grain commercial cast sized to .356 and their Moly type lube shot under 2" off bags at 25 yards. Point of impact was near enough that no pop can is safe at that distance.
I just started shooting Lugers today and this is only my second post on this forum. I'm sure there are people on here with a ton more knowledge on this topic than I. I'm lucky I stumbled into this pistol/load combo, but I'm sticking with what works!
Mike in Reedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2005, 04:35 PM   #3
Sieger
User

Default Parabellum Powders

Hi:

My vote for the powder that is closest to the original DWM used is IMR 4756.

Loaded just right, this powder will produce fantastic accuracy, as well as, total reliability in the Luger pistol.

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote