LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 05-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #1
midnightpossum
User

Default Arsenal quality differences

As I lack experience with lugers.. and am trying to do some research to help me in my search.. I would like to know if some Arsenals produced a higher quality build.. or if there is a specific era that was of higher quality. Please don't get me wrong, I am not insinuating some are of lesser quality... just fishing for your opinions.

Being in Canada, I may not be able to attain the luger I want, based on our laws
Unread 05-09-2013, 12:02 AM   #2
LugerVern
User

You ask a very loaded question:

I tried to answer this question several times but keep finding myself back tracking to make exceptions to my statements.

If you were to define "your" view of quality it might be easier to cater an answer just for you.

There were improvements made in the guns and in the manufacturing processes over time, the finish of some suffered as a result of war but all war lugers went through very stringent quality controls before being accepted for use by the military. All war lugers had a minimum quality standard"

Many early commercial lugers are things of beauty and precision and many survive today having never seen war time activity. The care that went into their manufacture. is quite obvious.

The HK's are pretty interesting guns, some believe them to be the best of the best, but I am not so sure that is the case.
They did produce lugers using different processes and bluing and had very low rejection rates.

As you can see, it is easy to get lost in this question. I don't think there is a defined answer.

Any statement someone makes can be countered.

Good Luck!

Vern
LugerVern is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to LugerVern for your post:
Unread 05-09-2013, 09:57 AM   #3
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,509 Posts

I think that the metallurgy, precision and construction of the Mauser made Lugers may be the best of the wartime Luger pistols. Particularly after about 1937. At that point, most of the finishing issues (salt bluing) had been understood and resolved.

More rare, and more obsessively made, are the W&F Swiss Luger pistols. These may be among the best ever made.

You will find examples of the Mauser made Lugers in Canada. Members on this board offer them for sale from time to time.

Marc
Unread 05-09-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

The one thing I will point out, IMHO at least, the late Erfurt guns of WW1 lacked the detail to finish that the DWM guns had. Remember that DWM sold the same product on the commercial market and there was no distinction to the quality of finish given one gun over the other. Erfurts were all gov't-made war guns, so some pre-bluing finish steps may have been sacrificed.
That being said, the early Erfurts seem on a par with DWM.
Now let's hear from the Erfurt crowd...
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #5
LugerVern
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJayUden View Post
That being said, the early Erfurts seem on a par with DWM.
Now let's hear from the Erfurt crowd...
dju
Oh, I am glad you said this! I really like the Erfurt's
The best shooter I ever had was a Erfurt, after all these years, still a tack driver. I really had fun at the range shooting that beat up old luger, made some dollars too

Vern
LugerVern is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 02:03 AM   #6
Geo99
User

I have a 1913 Erfurt that has a better fit and finish than both of my other 1916 DWMs.

Geo
Geo99 is offline   Reply With Quote