LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 07-11-2006, 02:44 PM   #1
waltherguy
User

Question Need Help with new S/42 1937 Rig

Hello all,

Just picked up a S/42 1937 rig and wanted to get some thoughts before my 3 day inspection is up. Everything seems matched (including firing pin, one grip numbered fine/other looks fishy to me, I'll try and add some pics later.) Some things that stood out to me are some of the numbers/proofs look stamped a little hard? Maybe its nothing? I'm assuming the Mag has been messed with? Second mag is unmatched. Takedown tool unmarked. Third proof does not have and eagle/swastika? If there is anything that looks questionable, please help me out. Trying to learn as much as possible, but you guys are the experts, I am the sponge

Thank you all in advance for the Help!

Unread 07-11-2006, 07:52 PM   #2
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Hi Reggie, So far I can't see anything wrong with the pistol. The depth of markings vary all over the place. The proof mark is correct for this year of production. The Germans didn't start the Eagle-over-Swastika until 1939.

The magazine has been renumbered and isn't even the same suffix as the pistol. I can't ubderstand why someone would do that. Magazine is a Y suffix, while the pistol is a X suffix.

The grips should both be numbered and should be the same font and size.

Hope this helps.
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2006, 08:02 PM   #3
waltherguy
User

Hi Frank,

Thanks so much... Ya the mag was the first thing I noticed, but I still did ok price wise on the Rig even with the mag being mismatched, so I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything else. Good to know about the proofs, I wasn't sure. The font on the grips matches, but when looking at one set of numbering on the right grip under a magnifying glass, you can kinda make out what looks like almost double numbering if that makes sense? I'll try and zoom in best I can and post some pics.. All that being said.. I'm pretty happy.. think I'll keep it. Love to hear some more feedback! Thanks!
Unread 07-11-2006, 08:50 PM   #4
minigun
User

Your '37 looks just like mine... Even down to the "spotting" on the barrel. I was told the "spotting" was from small microscopic moisture droplets that got onto the fabric of the gun case, rug or whatever it had been stored in. Until yours, I've never seen another Luger with that type of "spotting".
minigun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2006, 09:08 PM   #5
waltherguy
User

Quote:
Originally posted by minigun
Your '37 looks just like mine... Even down to the "spotting" on the barrel. I was told the "spotting" was from small microscopic moisture droplets that got onto the fabric of the gun case, rug or whatever it had been stored in. Until yours, I've never seen another Luger with that type of "spotting".
Cool! thats interesting.. haven't heard that before.. very well could be. Story I was "Told" about this one is it was a vet bring back taken off a captured Panzer Commander in Italy? Who knows, but I am going to try and research it some more. Its in good shape, bore is near mint. Thanks for the input guys!
Unread 07-12-2006, 12:07 AM   #6
minigun
User

On mine, I was told that my Luger came from an older man that was in a nursing home. He stored the Luger in a sock in his dresser drawers. No special story on my '37.
Unread 07-12-2006, 04:19 PM   #7
waltherguy
User

Here are some pics of the grips. The Right does look like "88" but it is a "9"

Thanks all!

Unread 07-12-2006, 08:15 PM   #8
SteveM
User

I don't know if it is me or the pics but the sideplate and serial number on the cannon look overstamped.

Steve
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2006, 11:16 PM   #9
minigun
User

Waltherguy, sent you a PM.
Unread 07-13-2006, 09:24 AM   #10
waltherguy
User

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveM
I don't know if it is me or the pics but the sideplate and serial number on the cannon look overstamped.

Steve
Hi Steve, I really can't tell, I compared it to two other Lugers (one of which is a s/42) and everything seemed ok, except the numbers look stamped hard? I probably wouldn't be questioning everything so much, if it wasn't for that renumbered mag. Today is the last day of my inspection. Anyone else have any thoughts.. please let me know.. I can take more pics if needed. Hope I didn't get taken on this one.
Unread 07-16-2006, 05:36 AM   #11
jamese
User

waltherguy,

Did you keep the rig ?

where are you in Florida, I'm near WPB perhaps we can compair notes I have (2) 1937s .

Jim
Unread 07-16-2006, 09:49 AM   #12
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts

waltherguy, I think the stamping looks hard too, however, if Frank liked it, well, that is what he collects, and I'd take his grain of salt a bit larger than others, no offense to anyone

Further, the halo on the side is very obvious and the glare on the sideplate makes it hard to really judge...

Grips, well, they got swapped more than amost anything else except firing pins..

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2006, 01:04 PM   #13
waltherguy
User

Hey Guys, Thanks for the feedback. Yea, I did keep the rig. I have a friend who is a LONG time collector who stopped by on Friday and looked over it with me. Except for the Mag, everything seems ok. Some of the stamps are "hard" but I think they are fine, I know its hard to really judge just via pics. Holster, belt, and buckle are in very good shape. So in the end, I'm very happy. This is my first non-shooter Luger, so I'm pretty excited.

Jim, I'm on the West coast (Naples/Ft. Myers) area. Thank you all once again for your help! Great bunch of people here!