LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 12-21-2016, 06:34 PM   #1
5bassman
User

Default Need some help with first Luger

A newbie needs help! My wife's uncle called me about three weeks ago and, knowing I collect guns, asked if I would be interested in a 1916 Luger. It's been in his safe deposit box for the last twenty years. Haven't found out any history on it on how he received it. The magazines are both numbered to another gun, but he said that "he thinks" that all numbers match on gun. The few I can see in the picture do match. He nor I know anything about these and I'm sure he's never had it apart. He finally sent me some pictures after getting it out of the safe deposit box. They're not too clear or real good but hopefully y'all can help me figure what it is and approximate value. He's bringing it to our family Christmas Eve get together and we both want to know a fair price on it.

Last edited by 5bassman; 12-21-2016 at 08:22 PM.
5bassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2016, 07:59 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,090 Posts

What I see is a 1916 (date) DWM made luger - one of the magazines might be a post war - hard to tell

Very nice holster, the bad scratching on the lid hurts the value of the holster - is there a loading tool in the pouch of the lid?

Value depends on if its numbered matching or reblued

$800-$1000 if mismatched - 1.5-1.8k if all correct and in good shape (retail value)

whats the marking on the front grip strap?

welcome to the forum

PS: If you can, please post pictures on the forum - otherwise pictures disappear or aren't available.
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2016, 08:25 PM   #3
5bassman
User

Ok, uploaded, sorry. I'm not sure what that is on the front strap. Waiting on an email from him on that. From the picture it's looks like the original bluing on the barrel and frame but understand that it needs to be checked in person. I know how to tell a reblue on an old S&W revolver, so hopefully it's pretty much the same.
The takedown tool is in the picture with holster and mags.
Unread 12-22-2016, 09:54 AM   #4
4 Scale
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5bassman View Post
From the picture it's looks like the original bluing on the barrel and frame
I agree. The picture of the barrel serials show "halos" around the numbers, which are a slight dulling of the finish right next to the stamped figures. Collectors assess halos as evidence that the finish is original, as the halos tend to disappear if the piece is re-blued. Looks like a nice military DWM in original finish.
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to 4 Scale for your post:
Unread 12-21-2016, 09:21 PM   #5
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

The magazines do not match, at least not the aluminum one and I believe the wooden bottomed one is home made. But of course they may have been numbered to the gun later.
I'm also wondering if the extractor hasn't been replaced, but overall it looks like a nice gun. $1200-$1400 is ballpark, a bit higher for a retail sale to a stranger.
I'm wondering if that patch on the holster can't be somewhat repaired. You may wish to check with our own Jerry Burney about that.
Overall it looks like a keeper.
Welcome aboard.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2016, 12:36 PM   #6
5bassman
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJayUden View Post
I'm also wondering if the extractor hasn't been replaced
dju
The extractor has the number 91 stamped on it, same as the last two digits of the serial.
Unread 12-22-2016, 01:09 PM   #7
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,509 Posts

Hi, congratulations on your family heirloom. We have a FAQ published on the site that you'd find useful. Just download the pdf linked by the FAQ post.

Looks like one magazine bottom may be broken or homemade. G.T. here can restore the magazine.

Don't store the magazines full of cartridges. Don't store the Luger inside it's holster. If it is all matching and in original finish, it's considered collectible. As you can see, you'd lose half it's value by breaking a numbered part. Consider never shooting it, and taking the real risk of damage. It is, after all, 100 years old...

I can't make out the unit mark, but it might be "M.G."? A machine gun company?

Your left grip panel has the "million dollar chip" up by the safety lever. Hugh Clark on this site can repair these if you want to restore the original grip.

There might be a serial number suffix letter under the numeric digits on the front of the frame. That letter (if present) is part of the serial number.

In addition to the values mentioned earlier, the tool would be worth $75-$125 if authentic and the acceptance mark is original.

Cheers, Marc
The following member says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 12-22-2016, 01:53 PM   #8
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I see an "m" suffix under the serial on the barrel. That m should also be below the serial on the front of frame. TH
The following member says Thank You to Lugerdoc for your post:
Unread 12-22-2016, 02:38 PM   #9
5bassman
User

Here is a little clearer picture of the stamp on the front grip strap. Looks to have been done after issue. Starts off with 2.M.G. R??8 . The gun isn't mine until we decide on a price that is fair for both of us. Thanks for all the help.
BTW, in the third picture you can see the M under the serial on the frame below the barrel serial.

Unread 12-22-2016, 05:31 PM   #10
tomaustin
Lifer X5
Lifetime Forum
Patron

show your buddy this thread...these comments are as good as you can get..........and this bunch have no dog in the fight..........good luck, tom
tomaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to tomaustin for your post: