Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Navy Lugers

Unread 07-27-2003, 04:13 AM   #1
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts
Post What's it worth?

Yesterday I handled and stripped a 1914 pattern Navy that had no chamber date or front sight date. It was all correct but the navy proofs on the left of frame and two places on barrel had been crudely filed off. There was a navy proof on the bolt/breech block. All numbers matched and there was no import marking at all. The grips were excellent and seemed to be original. The bore was mint. It had a Mecgar mag. The owner showed it to me along with a couple of stone mint P38's with hardshell holsters. He said they had been the property of a retired colonel.

Small pitted area on barrel but otherwise 90%+ and all correct when I held it up against my 1917.

Was this defaced by citizen/Freicorps after WWI in order to avoid confiscation?
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2003, 08:29 AM   #2
Big Norm
RIP

George,
unless you are willing to pay shooter price for something to take to the range, I would pass. With no date on the front sight, a mint bore, and something filed off of the side of the receiver, I would say that you were looking at someones creation. Not a Luger that was at one time a navy Luger. Without seeing the weapon, I would say that only you can determine the price. But it shouldn't be much.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2003, 02:19 PM   #3
Navy
RIP

George,
I tend to agree with Norm; with the defacement you describe, that gun is probably topping out at about $1100 or so.
Tom A.
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2003, 11:56 PM   #4
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts
Big Norm, It's probably not a creation, but rather a 1908 that was defaced. I held it up to both 1906 and 1917's of mine and all indicated that it was original but defaced. The only thing I neglected to determine was whether it was long or short frame. Judging by the other pieces that came out of this veteran's stash, it is a bring-back.
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2003, 12:45 AM   #5
Navy
RIP

George,
Pls send pix; that way we can make a better judgment. Oh, if it does not have a chamber date, it can't be a pattern 1914; must be an '08; unless, of course, the chamber date was defaced also.
Tom A.
Unread 08-12-2003, 07:17 AM   #6
Jukka Huvinen
New User

What would you approximate roughly for a Navy that has not matching numbers, ~ 70 % blue?

Just curious about Navy "shooter price".
Jukka Huvinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2003, 06:32 PM   #7
Navy
RIP

Mismatch and 70%, maybe $7-750; depending on other factors.
Tom A.
Unread 08-13-2003, 03:16 AM   #8
Big Norm
RIP

George,
without pictures it is difficult to assess a Luger. But when I hear that a nearly hundred year old gun has a mint barrel and something filed off of the barrel, I get real suspicious. Based on your description, your navy isn't collectible and therefore not worth much. It is collectors who pay the big bucks for Lugers.

Jukka,
a 70% evaluation of the blueing is not really good enough to guess a price on a Luger. In that percent range, you would have to consider if there is pitting on the outside and how serious that pitting is. There is only one good way to eliminate pitting and that process is much too expensive to consider on a navy Luger that is mismatched.

George and Jukka,
without seeing your Lugers, an evaluation is nothing more than a guess. Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. Another factor is are you willing to wait a long time to get your price or do you want to sell it right now? You might not be able to sell it even if you think your price is right.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote