LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Luger Accessories

Unread 07-23-2004, 07:25 PM   #1
Vboy
User

Post Mec Gar Mags are Short?

Three mags came with my Luger. Two were seven round blued mags with wooden bottoms and no marks of origin. The third was a very old nickeled mag. I had no jams with these mags. Then I got some new eight round Mec Gar mags, nickel and blued. Then I started having jams and failures to load. Sometimes no round would be stripped from the mag and loaded into the chamber. Today I compared the mags that worked, with a Mec Gar. The Mec Gar doesn't lock in as high as the other one. There is some play between the bottom of the mag and the bottom of the grip. The round doesn't seem to sit as high between the mag lips. I think the Mec Gar mags are slightly off spec and do not allow the round to sit high enough to be stripped consistently by the action of the slide. Comments?

Thanks,

Vboy

(Message Thread Subject corrected by admin in response to the desire of the thread originator -JS)
Vboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2004, 07:53 PM   #2
Ron Smith
User

Vboy, That sounds like the case. What you can try is use a pair of vise-grips. Lightly clamp the smoothe ends of the jaws parallel on the mag lip and VERY slightly bend the lips out. It does'nt take much. Be carefull. Tweak it just a touch and try it. Repeat until the cartridge comes up alittle higher. Keep checking it until it feeds. Then stop. The trick is, a tiny bit at a time. Don't get too heavy handed. And try not to warp the lips. Keep them even and parallel.
There's not much you can do about the retainer notch. Short of having it welded and re-cut it.

Good Luck! Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2004, 08:31 PM   #3
Vboy
User

Heading of my message should have been "Mec Gar Mags are Short?" I am trying some filing on the mag lips. This is a more conservative approach than bending. I have tried that before with bad results.

Vboy
Vboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2004, 08:40 PM   #4
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,583 Times in 989 Posts
Hi Vboy! All MEC-GAR mags are made the same... and, although probably not as good as an excellent original mag... they are still usually pretty good... I would probably try them in a different P.08 first, to decern if the issue is with the pistol, or the mags in question?? You shouldn't have to make any adjustments until you know which item is at fault... best to you, til...lat'r...GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2004, 09:40 PM   #5
Doug G.
User

Just thought of this, could it be a bad mag catch? Maybe try a few to see if it is too low? I would think that if the catch were a bit low it would allow the mag to drop down enough to cause a problem? Measure the distance from the top of the mag to the hole on all mags to see if they are the same.
My .02
Unread 07-23-2004, 11:56 PM   #6
G.W. Gill
User

Ditto Doug G. And JD. Emphlat! Don't grind. You will be able to make the adjustments if the mag is not a reject.
G.W. Gill is offline   Reply With Quote