LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 06-16-2020, 02:19 PM   #1
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,484 Times in 1,325 Posts
Default Mid Corona acquisitions

We're part way into the re-opening process here in NYS, which seems to have inspired amnesia in many residents. The basic guidelines for mitigating the virus' spread are in many cases being flouted in noticeable ways, to the extent that the Governor has said, "What are you doing?" The guidelines are what accomplished the current decline in the numbers of new cases, and disregarding them seriously risks another spike in contagion and death.

Gun dealers are open again, and practicing social distancing, masks, etc. as they should. But I was able to have three pistols transferred to me before this relaxation began, under basically the same guidelines, and by doing the paperwork via mail and email.

I now have two examples of the latest iteration of the Llama Micromax .380, and I thought I'd give a brief review.

The first one I received was satisfying. The new sights are easy to see/use, with a fiber optic element on the front and a nice notch on the back that is flanked by two white dots. The trigger is crisp and on the lighter side, so you don't feel like you're trying to move a piano with your finger. This setup made using it on my back yard range seem easy, with very acceptable recoil and good function, to boot...and I got decent accuracy right out of the box. It has very nice fit, far from being a rattle-trap as some 1911-style renditions can be. Its finish is the current standard satin. The extension at the bottom of the mag works well for my hand, and it's comfortable to grip with all four fingers.

The second example, not quite as successful. On the positive side, this auction lot came with two factory mags, an owner's manual, and a factory plastic case for only $30 more than the first one. The ambidextrous thumb safety lever on this one, however, doesn't maintain its position very well, and while firing a shot, it's influenced by my hand on its right side to come up out of "fire" position just enough to behave like it's on "safe," which is pretty damned annoying. I may have to deepen the detentes for more positive action. It's so floppy, in fact, that the left side of the lever found its way to its removal position and popped off the gun during a shot, allowing the plungers and spring to jump out as well. Fortunately, I was able to recover all the parts from the ground.

Factory mags are a big issue with this gun. I have three between the two, and want at least another couple spares. They've been unavailable for quite some time, and the importer has no idea when they will be available again.

In correspondence with the importer, I've found that these "new" Micromax pistols are now out of production and considered obsolete. It's only been on the market for a couple of years... Only a handful of replacement parts are currently available. This is ironic, indeed. I was interested in these because I liked the older Spanish-made originals, and anticipated parts and/or service to be more available. Alas, they're in the same category as most of my other pistols--Parabellum, Erma, original Llama, Whitney Wolverine, etc. Further irony is that parts for all the others are generally more available than for these "new' guns.

I have a replacement right-side safety lever on the way, with intent to modify one in hopes of eliminating most of its presence on that side of the gun and thus avoid the interference with my hand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MicroMax 05-05-20 $260 1.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	79964  

Name:	MicroMax 05-05-20 $260 2.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	79965  

Name:	MicroMax 05-05-20 $260 6.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	79966  

Name:	MicroMax 05-05-20 $260 5.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	79967  

Unread 06-17-2020, 03:14 PM   #2
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

It is a nice looking piece. I haven't read a lot about these handguns.
Need DWM breechblock #21
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to rhuff for your post:
Unread 06-18-2020, 02:04 AM   #3
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff View Post
It is a nice looking piece. I haven't read a lot about these handguns.
What with their being obsolete so soon, chances are we won't hear much further about them until they become collectible. Reviews so far rate it the equivalent of the Baby Rock or Browning's 1911-380. It's not particularly fussy about ammo brand or format, and mine functions dependably so far.

Not sure how many were produced, but probably not as many as each of the earlier, original variations--which may be of greater variety than the bewildering number of variations among Lugers.
Unread 06-18-2020, 08:16 AM   #4
tomaustin
Lifer X5
Lifetime Forum
Patron

throw up a picture of the pistol in your hand...can't get a reference on the size and fit...thanks, tom
tomaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2020, 02:01 PM   #5
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaustin View Post
throw up a picture of the pistol in your hand...can't get a reference on the size and fit...thanks, tom
Here ya go, Tom!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Newbie in hand.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	79971  

Unread 06-18-2020, 03:55 PM   #6
tomaustin
Lifer X5
Lifetime Forum
Patron

that is a handy sized pistol........how many were made ?...you figure there is a big box in the corner of a warehouse somewhere?
Unread 06-18-2020, 05:14 PM   #7
Kiwi
User

Default COVID Acquisitions

Me too,

First a Kimber 9mm full size 5 inch with Vortex red dot
It is enjoying being a safe queen as all ranges are closed still.

The second is an Erma KGP-69 .22 LR which is still waiting for the NICS check, yes I know the I in NICS stands for "Instant" but in the Peoples Republic of New Jersey where the dealer send the request - not to the NICS, but to the New Jersey State Police who do the check when they get time, it has been 6 days and not yet. Maybe I will get a gift for Father's day.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	kimber.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	79972  

Name:	Erma.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	79973  

Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Kiwi for your post:
Unread 06-18-2020, 05:25 PM   #8
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,955 Times in 1,200 Posts

Got a few goodies in the pipeline as our 'service oriented' police administration halted all permit work when the crisis started. The Renato Gamba P.08 arrived. Now waiting for a Mauser R&D made preseries HSc, a 1910 and an interesting factory numbered HSc anomaly that belonged to a Heckler & Koch engineer.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Vlim for your post:
Unread 06-18-2020, 11:54 PM   #9
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts

pretty neat stuff you guys picked up

I bought a police luger from Sandi Collins - it took the place of one I had sold a long time ago.

Picked up a shooter / parts luger and I think I've got it up and shooting, need to go to the range again (back 40)
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 06-19-2020, 04:22 AM   #10
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaustin View Post
that is a handy sized pistol........how many were made ?...you figure there is a big box in the corner of a warehouse somewhere?
It's small enough for concealed carry, but since it's made of steel, it's still hefty enough to help with recoil. I'll be running two mags a day through it for a while, to get an idea if it's dependable for carry as it seems it will be.

I have no idea how many were made. I suppose I'll ask the importer at some point. Today I found out that the parts I ordered, and for which I received email notification they'd shipped a week ago, haven't even made it to the post office yet. Nor could they tell me what diameter and thread pitch the grip screws are supposed to be. Nothing in this world is perfect, but jeez...
Unread 06-19-2020, 10:31 AM   #11
hayhugh
User

https://www.personaldefenseworld.com...cromax-pistol/
hayhugh is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to hayhugh for your post:
Unread 06-19-2020, 01:45 PM   #12
tomaustin
Lifer X5
Lifetime Forum
Patron

with the talent on this board, if you guys can get one good pistol, you can make a 100................
Unread 06-29-2020, 10:56 AM   #13
hayhugh
User

Maybe get parts here: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE

Last edited by hayhugh; 06-29-2020 at 10:59 AM. Reason: More info
hayhugh is offline   Reply With Quote