LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 08-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
cdmech
User

Default Impressive Auction

Has anyone else seen this?
http://jamesdjulia.com/auctions/div_catalog_346_sh.asp

Marc
cdmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #2
cdmech
User

Ok I have a short memory, I found this has been linked to before. Sorry for the duplicate post.
Marc
cdmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2013, 09:28 PM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts

Marc, someone pointed it out because I have the link saved but, truly impressive collection.
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2013, 10:12 PM   #4
alvin
User

One thing for sure is getting the catalogs. In theory, for most guns that I desire having a well printed auction catalog is good enough. In practice, having a catalog in hands still does not carry the excitement of holding a gun. Hopefully, can get one, ,,,,, too many good things on a table also present problem -- which one to go, it needs to be great, not too expensive, etc.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #5
hansfischer007
User

Unhappy Rare Pistols

After looking at the collection shown......one just has to wonder how many similar pistols...for example .....were brought back in some GIs duffel bag...and are now lying in a footlocker or in an attic somewhere....Im sure we have all seen the photos of the piles and piles of pistols...rifles and shotguns in all the German towns and small villages at the end of the war....when the German citizens had to surrender all their firearms.....and the story Ive always heard from some vets....they were allowed to go thru "the pile" and pick out one to take home......also the looting which took place in the weapons factories both off the assembly lines and in the museum displays.....a few years back...the head of our local Miitary Club....had an elderly lady call him about an "old German rifle" her husband had brought back from WW2.....had been standing in back of their closet for many years.....it was a fully automatic MP 44......in very good condition...(he has a Class 3 license)...anyway...just one example of whats "still out there"....in closets..footlockers...attics...etc......makes you really wonder what is left.......Im sure lots more to surface...... Hans Fischer
hansfischer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 10:20 AM   #6
drbuster
User

The Goeffrey Sturgess collection has been rumored to be sold at auction for some time. Now it has been realized and James Julia has been chosen to auction off the most impressive Luger collection to date. After the "re-issue" of his (and Gortz's) massive three volume treatise was finally out, one would think Dr. Sturgess would finally rest on his laurels but the reason for the sale of his collection remains a mystery to me.
drbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #7
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts

I think Geoff had nothing else to achieve...he pretty much has and done it all...so he has decided to reap the benefits of his collecting passion and enjoy life in another direction.

I kind of know the feeling (but on a microscopic scale compared to him!). There isn't much more that I can afford to add to my collection, but I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel yet.
Unread 08-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #8
alvin
User

One thing I thought today, if putting, for example, $20k into guns, should put into a single one, or a few lower pieces??? This will probably be the last time I buy guns (of course, not counting SKS, MN etc)....
Unread 08-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #9
alvin
User

Lots of expectation and uncertainty, for sure.