LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Luger Accessories

Unread 08-08-2012, 11:33 PM   #1
uscavman
User

Default Magazine Malfunction?

I have a new original wood bottom magazine that I am having a little problem and need to seek some higher knowledge. I am fairly new to Luger collecting so I will try an explain my problem the best I can. The mag locks into the Luger but gets stuck it does not pop back a little like my other mags. The mag will not release If I snap it in and pull it out manually until it clicks again it will release. Just wondering if there is something wrong with the mag or release (other mags work fine) and if it is fixable. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by uscavman; 08-09-2012 at 09:48 AM.
uscavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #2
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

G. T. (Gerald) on this board is an international class expert on Luger magazines and their restoration.

He has the special tools needed to properly conform the magazine to factory specification measurements. He regularly does restoration services.

Marc
Unread 08-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,429 Posts

Original wood bottom mags are not all the same size. I have handfulls of the things and some are quite sticky or won't even go into a pistol while others slide right in. I think you just have one that is slightly oversize for your pistol. It will likely fit in another! Why this is so I cannot say..I know it to be true however. I guess that's why the Germans serial numbered the bottoms!

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to lugerholsterrepair for your post:
Unread 08-10-2012, 07:30 AM   #4
uscavman
User

Got it out last night after work and put in a couple of times and released and now is working fine now. It did that earlier worked the first few after I got the magazine but then started sticking. Strange.
uscavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 11:44 PM   #5
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,583 Times in 989 Posts
Default Some Luger magazine facts of life....

Hi to all, Original luger mags are really a masterpiece of work... still, all in all, never really perfected.. That's because they asked more from the materials and design, then it could stand up to with repeated use.. For example, in order to form the folded sheet metal shell, they had to use dead soft, or maybe at most quaterhard steel sheet, to form the severe bends and crimped seams necessary to make the shell... To give you an example you can easily bend a small amount by hand..And, it is less than .020" thick. This means no heat treat, or very little, probably most of the spring in the steel was just from work hardening.. so now, you have a thin skinned soft steel container, with a small seam running the length... Pretty much an old campbells soup can would have been stronger... Now, lets put in a grossly overworked coil spring that goes to solid evey time you fully depress the follower! No modern designer in his right mind would design such a monster... So, we have a soft steel mag, overtaxed spring, and just for grins and smiles, lets tilt it 60 degrees and see what happens... Remarkably, they really do work quite well! Which amazes me every day... But, whether they are numbered to the gun or not, nice nickel plate or plain steel finish... they simply will not last with continued use... The first problem to show up is spreading at the magazine top, especially the feed lips.. This is usually the beginning of feed issues and the end of the drop free provision of the magazine.. The same issues that cause the mag to spread at the top, also start affecting the bottom also, and you get expansion at both ends. About the time you realize what is occuring, the mag starts failing in the seam, at best it'll grow a few thousands from front to back, at worst, the seam will fail to the point to where the mag shell twists and cannot be made stable... looks perfect, but will never consistantly fit correctly.. And then, just to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, lets put a wood bottom on it in various degrees of quality... pin it at the bottom back edge and see what happens???... All of the above is why the hardened MEC-GAR replacement mag is better then an original pre Mauser magazine in just about every respect... Gott'a love those Germans though... They just make really neat intricate stuff! ...... best to all, til...lat'r...GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 08-11-2012, 09:29 AM   #6
padredan
User

outstanding , gt thanks, even i could understand it.
Unread 08-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #7
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,429 Posts

GT..Thanks! Great explanation!~ Appreciated by all I am sure..
Jerry

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 05:45 PM   #8
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,583 Times in 989 Posts
Default and then!!!

Thanks Dan & Jerry, but...I almost forgot what i was leading to?? Anyway... just a little more... when Haneal (sp.??) got the idea to improve the Luger mag.. they did a pretty good job right off the start by eliminating the seam... Got rid of a bunch of issues right there... But, still soft steel, still over worked spring, although not quite as bad with the box design .. and still a bad angle for any mag to work at... just the nature of the beast.. Now, that being said, you take a crisp as new Luger, and an as new mag... and the right ammo, I would bet you'd have one hell of a time making it quit???!!!! The Luger can run right with the best of them... as a case in point, we came pretty close to just that in the 1907 tests for the .45 cal 1911......Best to all, til...lat'r...GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #9
padredan
User

Gt, take a look at the FXO mag thread please, it kinda follows along this one now with a few question i asked there, thanks