LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 05-04-2008, 02:40 PM   #1
Danny S
User

Default Refinishing a shooter

Wouldn't be molesting this pistol if I received it in original/collectable condition. Picked it up 15-16yrs ago when they were coming in for cheap. Didn't realise at the time the X ser# indicated a battlefield pickup, but it was obvious it had been through an extremely sloppy refurb. Pitted here & there, it's frame rails had been filed with a wood rasp.

It just.. looked.. BAAD!

Hate to offend the purists.. but with this kind of import text stamped on the barrel I can't agree this is one of those "we need to save it" type pistols.

1938 S/42, Ser# 838n. Okay.. so I'm easily amused. I think the ser# coincidence is pretty cool.

Following John Sabato's excellent instructions I've "strawed up" most of my small bits.

And okay.. I've gotten a little carried away with some of the "heat coloring". Just looks so pretty though, and easily polished off later if needed.

Taking as much care as I can to preserve stampings and cartouches. I've had to lose some detail.. but if you look for it there's some remaining pitting in nearly every photo. I'm greatly reducing the pitting but still leaving as much metal as possible.

Only been to the range with it once half a dozen yrs ago. Surprisingly good shooter (especially considering the "day long" trigger). Put up groups half the size of a buddy's brand new SS reproduction Luger. He was NOT a happy camper!

Hugh Clark is checkering grips for me to replace refurb black plastic. After a glass bead & rust blue, I expect a much more enjoyable P-08.

Got my asbestos shorts on.. Flame Away!

Danny S is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2008, 06:37 PM   #2
Ron Smith
User

No Flames here. Considering the condition and circumstances, you're preserving it. Not destroying the value. The Russian captures like yours, and the VOPOs (East German police) are actually increasing in value. Nice work in not buffing or over sanding.

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2008, 08:22 PM   #3
Danny S
User

Quote:
No Flames here. Considering the condition and circumstances, you're preserving it. Not destroying the value...

Ron
Thanks Ron, we're both on the same page there.

The Russian refurb destroyed whatever original finish existed, was extremely quick & dirty (pistol looked like it had been dragged on concrete before reblued), and harmed value more than it helped to my mind. Doing the best I can to return #838 to a more representative Luger appearance. Granted the strawed parts do not belong on a 1938 model, but they can easily be returned to blue if desired.

While not everyone agrees that firearms bear any similarities to collectable cars.. I'd never dream of molesting a "surviving" collectable vintage auto. OTOH, If I managed to find a '56 or '57 Vette that a previous owner had painted metalflake purple w/ leopard interior, I'd feel like I was doing the car and future owners a favor if I could return it to a more original appearance.

S'all I'm trying to do here.

Danny S is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2008, 10:28 PM   #4
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Good luck on your remaining project. I can appreciate how much work you have put into the metal restoration... Keep us posted on your progress.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote