LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 03-16-2008, 01:03 AM   #1
R.David
User

Default Death's Head Mark

I hope I'm not posting this in the wrong place as I do not use the forum often enough: I recently had the opportunity to look at a 1917 dated DWM in 80-90% condition that had the tiny "Death's Head" marking above the date and facing towards the left side. It appears to me that the Death's Head is original or nearly so to the gun. All visible parts numbers match and the serial number is 4xx, no alpha. My Datig book says that the meaning of this mark is unclear, with three possibilities, Death's Head Hussars of WWI, SS issue in the 30's, or Free Corps in the 20s. My questions are (1) has the meaning ever been cleared up as to what the mark represents and (2) anyone have any idea of the value of this pistol (or perhaps I should say whether the Death's Head adds extra value)?
Thanks, Dick
R.David is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2008, 07:48 AM   #2
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Dick, It is believed that the "death head" was a unit symbol of some WW1 or Weimar Free Corp units and was added to the luger post production. I would be very careful about paying a premium for PO8s so marked, as I know of at least 2 persons out there with perfect DH dies. TH