LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 06-27-2007, 01:56 PM   #1
warrantw3
User

Default BYF 41 grips and magazine

Hello,

I am new to the forum and would appreciate some much needed help. I have just purchased a BYF 41 with wooden grips and two alum bottom fxo mags. It has a bcb 41 holster and e/655 tool. The serial number is 4271x. I would rate it at 98% +.

The grips are marked on the inside with the last two digits of the serial number and also an "s".

One magazine has a matching serial number and the other is un-numbered.

Q1. Has anyone ever seen a "s" stamped inside BYF grips?

Q2. Should the BYF 41s (wooden grips) have been issued with one matching numbered and one un-numbered fxo magazine?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Jeff
warrantw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2007, 02:42 AM   #2
Steinar
User

Welcome Jeff! And congratulations with a good 'matching' rig!

I was hoping for someone else to answer Q1, I can only quess that it's a acceptance/signature mark of some kind..
It is a quite common mark to find, you may also find an "s" on the frame somewhere on the grip area. Perhaps someone can share some light on it? As to Q2, they where not issued with one matching and one unmatching magazine. Late war, they didn't mark all the magazines. So if it's a proper fxo magazine and aluminium bottom, it's likely that it come from a later byf.
Either way.. you are lucky to have one that actually matches, and both holster, grips and tool sounds 'matching' for your gun. A damn good start at collecting Lugers! ..you will get more of them right?
Unread 06-28-2007, 06:34 AM   #3
warrantw3
User

Thank you sir,

I had a PM from another member that told me he has only seen three other BYF 41's in the X block with a matching numbered magazine. I guess most were not numbered like my extra. I don't know if that means I have one matching magazine or two.

Jeff
warrantw3 is offline   Reply With Quote