LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 09-12-2006, 10:54 AM   #1
Crotalus
User

Unhappy New magazine stuck in luger please help

I'm hoping someone can help me out with this one. I ordered a magazinefor my 1918 DWM military issue luger from Numrich Gun Parts (e-gunparts.com) "9MM, 7 Round, WWII Finnish Made" (Item #953990). This is a replacement for the first magazine I had ordered from them that had rivits sticking out to the point that the magazine could not be inserted.

The current magazine is a silver colored metal, from the weight I am assuming aluminum but could be wrong, with a wooden bottom as I have read would be the correct design to match my luger. When I inserted the magazine it felt a bit tight going in but snapped into place fine and the togle was able to be held open all the way (which isnt the case with the magazine that came with the pistol). When I tried to release the magazine it wouldn't come out however, and no matter what I've done I am unable to get it out. I removed the grips and put some CLP along the edges of the frame of the handle on the magazine and pushed it through using some sturdy paper and let it sit over night in hopes that some lubrication with that stuff might help but still I cannot get it out. I also tried pushing down on the top of the magazine with my finger through the chamber, as this worked for me with an aftermarket magazine that didn't fit properly, but had no luck with that either. I dont know if the small hole in the magazine where the catch holds it in place is misshaped or what the problem is, but I am reluctant to try to pull it out with pliers as I don't want to damage anything. Does anybody have any suggestions on how I can possibly remove the magazine without damaging my beloved pistol?
Crotalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2006, 10:58 AM   #2
policeluger
RIP

Try taking off the grips, removing the mag release spring, push out the mag release and see if that helps....
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2006, 11:23 AM   #3
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,104 Times in 1,429 Posts

Ken, Howard is correct..This will free it up except for friction along the sides. If it still won't budge in a reasonable manner, take a wood yardstick and slip it onto the top of the magazine follower, push the spring to the bottom and give her a tap or two. Should come out if it went in....Good Luck. Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2006, 12:38 PM   #4
Crotalus
User

Quote:
Originally posted by policeluger
Try taking off the grips, removing the mag release spring, push out the mag release and see if that helps....
On the "parts and disassembley" section under "Technical Information" what number is the magazine release spring? I cant seem to find that name listed. This is my first luger and I got it fairly recently so I'm not sure how to remove or replace the magazine release spring. (or much else other than the grips. I don't want to damage anything so any tips or suggestions on what I should be especially cautious doing would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken
Unread 09-12-2006, 01:08 PM   #5
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

To remove the mag release spring, take off the left grip (carefully so you don't chip out the part near the safety lever), and the small flat spring that is on the mag button can be pushed down at the top and slide out to the right and removed.

This should allow the mag release to move without any resistance except the magazine... press the mag release button in and then use the yardstick method to remove the bad mag...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2006, 01:25 PM   #6
policeluger
RIP

I'm sorry for not being more detailed.....I keep an "orange stick"??? some piece of hard wood stick about as thick as a Q-tip as to not mar anything yes more out a small spring as this....hope this helps
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2006, 01:25 PM   #7
Crotalus
User

Unfortunately whoever had owned the luger prior to me already took care of that upper portion of the grip under the saftey lever but I will try out this method when I get off of work. I thank everybody for their help, this has to be the friendliest forum with the most helpful members of any that I have subscribed to. I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks again.
Ken
Unread 09-13-2006, 12:08 AM   #8
Crotalus
User

Removing the release spring and pulling the magazine's follower button did the trick, thanks guys. This is the third magazine to go back to numrich. One was aftermarket, the other had rivets that stuck out such that the magazine couldn't be inserted. Can you guys reccomend a place to order a mag that would fit my 1918 DWM? At this point I dont care if it has any sort of markings or numbering, I just want one that fits and functions.

By the way I ended up pulling the follower button down with a set of needle nose pliers since the yardstick like wood I had broke while pushing (and the mag is going back so I wasnt worried about it potentially getting a scratch).
Unread 09-13-2006, 12:36 AM   #9
Hugh
RIP

Check with Tom Heller for a workable magazine.
hellerarms@webtv.net
Unread 09-13-2006, 06:35 AM   #10
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,939 Times in 1,196 Posts

Hi,

Of the newly manufactured magazines, the MecGar magazines are the best. 8-round capacity, good fit and finish.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2006, 09:40 AM   #11
Crotalus
User

Where is the best place to order one of these from?
Unread 09-13-2006, 10:25 AM   #12
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,104 Times in 1,429 Posts

Check with Tom Heller for a workable magazine.

hellerarms@webtv.net

Tom has mecgars for around thirty dollars I believe. Email him for particulars. Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2006, 10:57 AM   #13
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

As usual, Hugh & Jerry are correct. I do have new MecGars in stock @$30 delivered, as well as 3Ks starting @$20 and the like new DDR made Schmeissers @$75. TH
Unread 09-13-2006, 12:16 PM   #14
Crotalus
User

I see you answered some of the questions that I emailed you prior to me reading this post. I will be ordering from you for both the luger and my P38. Excuse my ignorance, this is my first luger but what is a Schmeisser?
Unread 09-13-2006, 12:19 PM   #15
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

They are East German copies of the original FXOextruded steel magazines made on the original equipment... not made with folded sheet metal.. the best there is... I highly recommend them.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
Unread 09-15-2006, 09:38 AM   #16
Crotalus
User

Quote:
Originally posted by G. van Vlimmeren
Hi,

Of the newly manufactured magazines, the MecGar magazines are the best. 8-round capacity, good fit and finish.
I just sent Tom a money order for an original WWI mag proper for my pistol and a MecGar magazine. Do the MecGars actually hold 8 rounds or is it 7+1 in the chamber?
Unread 09-15-2006, 10:45 AM   #17
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Mec-Gar mags are full 8 round mags... the Triple-K mags (or 3Ks as Tom calls them) are normally onlly 7 round mags because the construction of the follower and mag bottom...

Unread 04-08-2007, 09:49 PM   #18
billdo
User

for your mags go to www.sportsmansguide.com bought there and they work excellent.
billdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2007, 01:16 AM   #19
Sieger
User

Default Mag

Quote:
Originally posted by G. van Vlimmeren
Hi,

Amen!!!

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2007, 01:24 AM   #20
Sieger
User

Default Luger Mags

Quote:
Originally posted by John Sabato
Mec-Gar mags are full 8 round mags... the Triple-K mags (or 3Ks as Tom calls them) are normally onlly 7 round mags because the construction of the follower and mag bottom...
Dear John:

The KKKs are not at all as nicely made as the Mec-Gars, not even in the same ballpark.

I actually threw one out in disgust!

Also, who would want to go from 8 to 7 rounds with a new magazine?

Well, Aimco, perhaps.

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote