LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 07-10-2006, 11:43 AM   #1
rhmeekjr
New User

Default Nickel Plated Luger

Dear Collectors,

I am new to your site and have a question. My wife inherited a 1918 Luger form her Dad. It seems to be correct with a three digit serial number and the last two digits stamped in all the right places on the pistol. She also got a AG USFET Form #33 Certificate dated 19 January 1946 which appears to be a government or Army form that allows a 1LT Downer to bring the pistol into the United States as a war trophy. What is unusual is the Luger is Nickel Plated and the Army Form indicates that is was this way when LT Downer brought it to the US. I have never heard of a nickel plated Luger, especially one that was done in Germany.

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks
Bob
Hickory, NC
rhmeekjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2006, 11:49 AM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Hi Bob, and welcome to the Luger forum...

Unfortunately for the collector, the nickle plating has destroyed most of the collector value, but as a family heirloom of your father in laws service, it should be priceless to your family... and certainly the gun is a good candidate for a shooter!

The nickle plating was common for late and post war trophies of this type... often being accomplished by german civilians for a carton or cigarettes or some food. Often the workmanship is very good.

You can have the nickle plating removed for a price, and the pistol restored to its former glory for appearance sake... but it would be a costly venture running $500 or more... To me, IMHO, the nickle plating is part of this gun's history... You can frame the entire rig, including the trophy papers for a nice display, or just shoot and enjoy her, and pass her and the history on to your heirs...

Once again welcome and we hope you enjoy reading about Lugers here and participating when you have the opportunity.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote