LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 08-06-2001, 09:29 PM   #1
W. Joseph May

Default Lugar information needed

I would appreciate information about a Lugar I have recently acquired. It is in excellent, mint condition. Above the trigger I noticed three "X's" with crowns above them. Next to these is an eagle with wings spread. All the numbers match on the pistol. The numbers are: 70185. At the top of the pistol there is a monogram that says "DWM." The handle appears to be walnut. The pistol is not dated, but I have been told that it is possibly from the year 1917. The leather holster is a mahogany in color and is worn. I would like to know the history of the pistol, how to care for it, and if I can shoot it. I would appreciate your feedback.

Thank you.

Joe May

Unread 08-07-2001, 04:50 AM   #2
FGR

Default Re: Lugar information needed

If you goto the technical section on the opening page, You will see link marked "Proofs". If you click on that and then on Proofs1, you will see your X's under #11. The note for that proof is that it is german military only on 1908 lugers. The numbering is close to correct for a 1908 commercial/military pistol (69600-70100). The gun should not have a stock lug on the rear bottom of the frame, as most WWII lugers would have.... and should have the eagle proof on the barrel.

Others here can give a better idea of just what you have, but it sounds like a very nice gun, could you post a picture?

hope this helps, FGR