LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Artillery Lugers

Unread 11-20-2005, 08:08 PM   #1
Fletch
User

Default My 1917 Artillery

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\fletchec\Desktop[/IMG]

Greetings from Down Under

I am a new member of this group. Attached (I hope) is a photo of the markings on my 1917 DWM Artilley. I am keen to find any history of this weapon that other members may be able to assist me with or direct me to.

Fletch
Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2005, 08:20 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts

Fletch, welcome to the forum!

You have to upload a phot. Two ways to do so, upper right corner is an upload, you do that, and COPY the URL, then place the url here or clcik IMG to make it an image.

Ensure you use Add Reply and not quick reply, then you can upload one picture at a time.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2005, 08:32 PM   #3
Fletch
User

Thanks Ed, I worked out what I did wrong then the file was too large, so will try again tomorrow, as I am at work now. Takes me a while sometimes.

Fletch
Unread 11-21-2005, 07:31 AM   #4
c3006
User

Fletch
Do you need any kind of special permit to own a handgun down under?
Thanks clint
Unread 11-21-2005, 06:58 PM   #5
Fletch
User

Clint
Restrictions are very tight and vary from state to state. In West Aussie we need a Collector's Licence, issued by the police and you have to sign a document saying it will not leave your premises and will not be fired!

Fletch
Unread 11-21-2005, 07:32 PM   #6
Craig
User

G-Day Fletch
Having lived in OZ for 18 years in the outback (Alice Springs N.T.) I'm still amazed at how my aussie buddies changed all the gun rules after the shooting in Taz.

Cheers
Craig
Unread 11-21-2005, 11:49 PM   #7
Fletch
User

Hi Craig

You had it good in the Territory. The laws in WA have always been tough. The nonsense after Port Arthur means the politicians have made the country safer by taking my 10/22 but allowing me to have a 338 Win Mag and a 300 Win Mag. I think politicians are pretty much the same everywhere!

Fletch
Unread 11-22-2005, 02:35 PM   #8
mauro
FIREARM HISTORIAN AND AUT

Hello Fletch,
Welcome to the Luger Forum.
Nice pistol.
Do you have accessories too?
Ciao
Mauro
http://www.lugerlp08.com
Unread 11-22-2005, 09:12 PM   #9
Fletch
User

HI Mauro

I have the holster and stock with the tool and cleaning rod and the leather strapping. I don't have the magazine pouch.

It is a really nice firearm and i would like to find out more about it. I have read the glowing reports on your book.

Regards
Fletch
Unread 11-26-2005, 10:47 PM   #10
Big Norm
RIP

Fletch,
it looks like you might have a nice rig. Does the stock have a serial number on the iron that matches to guns serial number? Does the magazine also have the matching serial number? What is the date, and who was the manufacturer of the holster? Your pictures are nice, but we need more of them.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2005, 09:14 AM   #11
Fletch
User

Hi Norm

The magazine does not have a matching number (260), nor does the iron on the stock (552). The holser has Berlin, 1917 and the manufacturer's name over-arching Berlin, but I am unable to read it. More photos as suggested.

All the best
fletch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_cf5.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	540  

Unread 11-27-2005, 09:18 AM   #12
Fletch
User

More Photos,

Fletch
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img_cf2.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	541  

Unread 11-27-2005, 09:19 AM   #13
Fletch
User

Another
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img_cf4.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	542  

Unread 11-27-2005, 09:20 AM   #14
Fletch
User

Last one
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img_cf1.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	543  

Unread 11-29-2005, 08:14 PM   #15
Big Norm
RIP

Fletch,
I got your email but I thought that I would respond on the forum jut n case others might want to add something that I forgot. Congradulations on your purchase. The wear on this almost 90 year old gun gives it an air of authenticity. Your holster is also a valuable authentic holster. To find an original holster with the cup and the straps is indeed a rare find nowadays. Don't let the wear make you think that it is junk. An authentic holster with the strap and the cup can sometimes sell for as much as the gun itself. Take good care of it.

Your artillery luger is what is called a transitional artillery. By that I mean that both the front and the real sights did not have a sight adjustible screw on them. But some 1917's had both adjusting screws, some had one or the other and some had neither. DWM did not stop puting these screws on them until later in that contract year. Approximately 90,000 of the 1917 artilleries were made. The most of all artilleries. If you take that gun apart, you will see a two digit serial number on all parts except for the springs. On your luger, this number will be '30'. The grips should also have this two digit number underneath. But don't get mad if its not there.

****Be VERY, VERY careful how you take the left hand grip off. It can break a small splinter off at the thumb safety if you are reckless. This is not reparable.

Your rear sight should have the two digit serial number in a number of places. (1) on the rear of the sight just under the 'V', (2) on the distance gauge arm right just under the sight mentioned in (1), (3) on the left side of the tang sight adjustible blade and (4) on the front of the sights base.

Sometimes there is a serial number on the base of the front sight.

There is a number just under the four digit serial number on the bottom of your barrel. I can't read it from your picture. This number is just a measurement of the bore taken at the time of manufacture and has no relavence after all these years.

Your stock should have a full serial number including the small cap letter (maybe) on the top of the attaching iron. I say maybe because some Lugers don't have a small cap letter in their serial number. The stock should also have a proof mark on the woods side just below the screws that holds the flap strap to the stock. A quick look will make it look like the horse on a chess board. A closser look will show it to look like a fancy 'S'.

A recommended must have book for reading about WW1 Lugers would be Jan Stills book "Imperial Lugers And Their Accessories". Jan came out with another publishing of this book and he might still have some more left over. My last address for Jan is :
Jan Still
P.O. Box 240188
Douglas, Alaska 99824 USA
My approximate cost for the book is around $65 (US)

This book might be purchased on Ebay for more or less. I don't know of problems that you might have buying this book on Ebay since you are from Australia. There are other books, such as Mauro's book, but the Stills book is the first one that I would buy. Its a good beginner book.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2005, 12:05 AM   #16
Fletch
User

Big Norm

Thanks for the advice, and the information. I am really happy with the gun and have had it for a few years. I am now motivated top learn more about it, and you have been a great help. I have ordered Mauro's book and will track down the other one.

Fletch
Unread 11-30-2005, 03:29 PM   #17
Pete Ebbink
User

You can buy luger books directly from the author, Jan Still, at the following web site.

The "Imperial" luger books is currently out-of-print and used ones are very expensive...Jan will be doing a reprinting in the near future, I hear.

http://stillsbooks.com/
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote