LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All Post-WWII Lugers

Unread 06-12-2005, 04:07 PM   #1
Revolvr
User

Default Stoeger American Eagle Luger

Are these pistols still made?

I saw one at a gunshow in Phoenix this weekend. NIB, stainless, 4 inch bbl, 9mm. Dealer was asking $670.

Never seen one before and I was intrigued. Been thinking about getting a good shooter. I walked away for 10 minutes to think about it, came back and it was gone. Bought by another dealer at the show.

Can anyone provide a bit of history on these, and reasonable values?

-- Rev
Revolvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2005, 07:29 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts

Rev, proablably easiest to do a word search on amerian eagle stoeger and see what comes up.

Not made for several years, but lots of info here.

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2005, 11:18 PM   #3
Doug G.
User

I believe that these are no longer made and have not been for some time. They mitchel Lugers are no longer made as well. I believe that Orimar made them for both companies and now sell them themselves? If I am wrong someone please correct me.
Doug G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2005, 02:16 AM   #4
Steve Richards
User

To the best of my knowledge, they are still being made but are sold directly by Orimar. They are listed in the Links & Resources tab to the left. That price is about right for a NIB gun.

I have two. One 9mm with 6" and one .30 with 4.75".

Steve
Steve Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2005, 09:15 AM   #5
Revolvr
User

I called Orimar in Houston. The guy I talked to said they are not currently making the repros, but would start up again in a few months. Write them to get on their mailing list.

They no longer have a public e-mail address, so the one on the links page should be removed.

-- Rev
Unread 06-14-2005, 02:28 PM   #6
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Thanks for letting us know that the link to Orimar is now a dead link. Do you have, or can you confirm, current phone numbers or other contact information that I could post in the Links and Resources page of the forum?

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2005, 05:08 PM   #7
Revolvr
User

Yea, it's just the email link that isn't working; they do not have a public email address now. The only other change is they are an LLC, not Inc. The other information should be correct:

Orimar Firearms Manufacturing, LLC.
OFM LLC
PO box 8767
Houston,TX 77249-8767
Unread 06-15-2005, 10:40 AM   #8
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

THANKS. I will change it at my first opportunity.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
Unread 06-21-2005, 11:48 AM   #9
DougT
User

Revolvr,

The stainless Lugers are pretty and very eye catching, but they aren't much once you closely examine them. Save your money towards an original, and I believe you'll be a lot happier in the long run. I've owned two of these guns (presently still own one), and I don't think too much of them now that I also own some original Lugers. There are so many ways that the stainless guns were "done on the cheap" compared to the originals, and if you lay one next to an original it will become readily apparent. See my recent post to Sieger in answer to his "dumb questions" thread. In my opinion, they are very poor quality "reproductions."

DougT
DougT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2005, 08:18 PM   #10
Steve Richards
User

I own two of the stainless guns and like them.

Doug is correct in that they are different from the vintage guns and parts are not interchangeable. "Done on the cheap" is an unfair summary in my opinion. They are made to a large degree from investment casting instead of machine milling. This is the only way that they were able to be made affordable.

They do look different from a vintage and have a very different feel due to the grip part of the frame being a little bit thicker. Are they a poor copy? I do not think so but differnt opinions are what keeps life interesting.
Unread 06-23-2005, 08:48 AM   #11
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I agree with both DougT and Steve regarding these stainless guns. They are made with the latest technology in firearms manufacturing... To have produced them using the old world methods that produced the Original DWM's and Mausers would have made them so expensive that they never would have been produced...

Unread 06-23-2005, 01:59 PM   #12
DougT
User

Hi all,

OK--that's it! I've heard all I can stand! They are "done on the cheap." Look at the oversized, plastic magazine release button: the "checkering" on it looks more like a miniature waffle iron. Ditto for the "checkering" on the toggles--cheap is the word. And you just gotta love that "moving sideplate." And how about all the nice rounded edges--no "Bubba buffing" required (it's already done for you at the factory). Sorry folks, but you'll get no sympathy from me. With the CNC type modern machining equipment (that has been available for years), these guns most certainly could have been made as well and as nice as the "vintage" guns. Maybe the production set-up would have cost a bit more, but there is no way you're going to convince me that they couldn't have duplicated the "old world" results. They made 'em out of stainless so that they wouldn't have to blue them (I can go with that), and they buffed them up real pretty to catch the newbie's eye--but they dishonored the Luger heritage by cost-cutting. Had they bothered to make these things right, the stainless Lugers would be holding their own today, and Orimar would be enjoying great success. They could have followed up with a .45, and named their price. Instead, they have faded to almost rumor status, and it's no wonder why. The typical American failure story: Sitting on top of a gold mine, but too stupid to pick up a shovel.

DougT
Unread 06-23-2005, 02:30 PM   #13
Sieger
User

Default Slop

Quote:
Originally posted by DougT
Hi all,

OK--that's it! I've heard all I can stand! They are "done on the cheap." Look at the oversized, plastic magazine release button: the "checkering" on it looks more like a miniature waffle iron. Ditto for the "checkering" on the toggles--cheap is the word. And you just gotta love that "moving sideplate." And how about all the nice rounded edges--no "Bubba buffing" required (it's already done for you at the factory). Sorry folks, but you'll get no sympathy from me. With the CNC type modern machining equipment (that has been available for years), these guns most certainly could have been made as well and as nice as the "vintage" guns. Maybe the production set-up would have cost a bit more, but there is no way you're going to convince me that they couldn't have duplicated the "old world" results. They made 'em out of stainless so that they wouldn't have to blue them (I can go with that), and they buffed them up real pretty to catch the newbie's eye--but they dishonored the Luger heritage by cost-cutting. Had they bothered to make these things right, the stainless Lugers would be holding their own today, and Orimar would be enjoying great success. They could have followed up with a .45, and named their price. Instead, they have faded to almost rumor status, and it's no wonder why. The typical American failure story: Sitting on top of a gold mine, but too stupid to pick up a shovel.

DougT
Doug:

You have captured reality, perfectly!!!

Amen to all of your comments, and a big boo!!! of the week to Aimco.

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2005, 02:48 PM   #14
DougT
User

Thanks Sieger,

Sometimes I just can't help myself. By the way, what does "Ich glaube nicht!" translate to? I PM'd Roadkill for help in translating and coming up with a suitable response (in German, of course), but I didn't hear back from him. I suspect he may be "busy" right now, as our armed forces are doing a brisk business. My humble thanks and prayers for all our men and women in uniform--now and always.

DougT
Unread 06-23-2005, 03:01 PM   #15
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally posted by DougT
Thanks Sieger,

Sometimes I just can't help myself. By the way, what does "Ich glaube nicht!" translate to? I PM'd Roadkill for help in translating and coming up with a suitable response (in German, of course), but I didn't hear back from him. I suspect he may be "busy" right now, as our armed forces are doing a brisk business. My humble thanks and prayers for all our men and women in uniform--now and always.

DougT
Doug:

Ich glaube nicht means... "I don't think so".

I was kidding you a bit here. Your response to my remark on the reason for the strange space between the frame and magazine was curious to me. You claim to be related to George Luger, but he died one year before my father was born (1923 I believe).

I guess you could be related to him, and my response in German was meant to draw you out a bit. If Luger was your great uncle, your conversation with him would have been in German.

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2005, 03:19 PM   #16
DougT
User

Sieger,

Of course Georg Luger was my great uncle--isn't he your's as well? We're all members of the "Luger Family." Ya gotta have fun!

DougT
Unread 06-23-2005, 09:49 PM   #17
Johnny C. Kitchens
User

Default Plastic???

Yours had a plastic magazine release??? The only plastic I see is the magazine bottom, which looks like wood. When the gun had the Mitchell name on it, several magazines demonstrated that the parts would interchange between the stainless and older Lugers. For some reason Stoeger made several parts larger, I suppose to prevent this sort of thing. I'm not sure why they used the waffle pattern instead of checkering, but I would guess it has to do with investment casting of the parts...
Unread 06-24-2005, 01:53 AM   #18
Steve Richards
User

The two that I have are from 2000 and 2002. The newer one does have nicer checkering on the takedown lever and magazine catch button. Comparing the edges to a 1906, an interwar commercial artillery, and 1970 Mauser, they are just as sharp and do not look like a "bubba buff".

The only plastic is on the magazine bottom. Some are black plastic and some are a walnut color with an eagle crest. The Mauser Parabellum also has a black plastic base.

The feel in my hand is different, but so is the Mauser.

AIMCO, now ORIMAR had lousy marketing! Nobody knew they existed. It took me about two weeks searching to find them the first time.

Maybe my guns are the exception to the rule as to looks but I do not think that they look cheap or poorly made. With the right ammo, they shoot great.

Lets keep our discussions civil. We can disagree without being disagreeable to one another.

Steve Richards
Unread 06-24-2005, 07:02 AM   #19
DougT
User

Hi all,

Oh come on Steve, let's get some emotion in to it! The stainless guns are junk, and we all know it! Compare a "vintage" Luger to one and it's a "no brainer." My point is that they could have made the stainless guns to "old world specifications" and the entire Luger community would have run over itself beating a path to their door! I would pay 5K for a quality .45 Luger, wouldn't you? How many of these would they have had to sell to "break even?" Consider Kimber, a company who just a few years ago made only "high end" bolt action rifles. Because of their quality, they now produce the 1911 "to own." My new Springfield Armory M1 Garand is the same: A quality, proven arm faithful in every way to the originals and warrented for life. I can re-enact WW II if I want to, and the gun will run as advertised or they will fix it for free--what more could I ask for? There are many more success stories out there of small firearms manufactures who, because of the very high quality they offered, are now mainstays in the gun world. I rest my case.

DougT

DougT
Unread 06-24-2005, 10:23 AM   #20
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

DougT,

"Junk", just like BEAUTY, is in the eye of the beholder... While my personal preference is the original guns, without Orimar, there wouldn't be ANY new guns to carry on the Luger design... I wish them much success, and enthusiastic expert help with their marketing and manufacturing... Someday, they may be the only source of replacement parts...

Please REST things on a civil tone ... if the discussion leans toward flames, I will have to terminate it. Flames are not permitted anywhere on this discussion board website, regardless of whose opinion is being expressed.