LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-29-2001, 08:38 PM   #1
Matt
User

Default OT Yugo Mauser question

I am looking for a Mauser to shoot that has an excellent bore. The Yugoslavian Mausers are advertised in Shotgun News for $99.95 in very good condition or $169.95 in very good to excellent condition. Does anyone have one of these? It seems I remember someone mentioning one in a post awhile back.

Unread 04-29-2001, 09:01 PM   #2
Ted
User

Default Re: OT Yugo Mauser question

Marvin has one of these and speaks highly of them I think! you can contact him tomorrow at marvin.cook@fluordaniel.com

Ted

Unread 04-29-2001, 09:11 PM   #3
Matt
User

Default Thanks Ted! How did your turkey hunt go? (EOM)

Unread 04-29-2001, 09:29 PM   #4
MK

Get a Preduzece 44 Yugo, one with all matching numbers.

Those are rebuilt (renumbered as well) 98k rifles.

The all matching number rifles always have new barrels on them, most are unissued and they are 98k rifles.

The non-matching ones can also be very nice but are only about $30 less than the more thorough rebuilds.

The M48s are a Yugo made variant of the M98k. Nice rifles no doubt, just kind of funky.

Mike

Unread 04-30-2001, 05:49 AM   #5
Marvin
User

Matt,

I have one of the German produced K98k rifles that was reworked by the Yugoslavs after the war. Mine is all original German parts and the barrel appears to be the original barrel to the receiver. The Waffenamts have been removed and the mfg code and date have been removed. The Yugos did a nice job on mine and the rifle is almost 99%. All parts were renumbered during the rebuild and match. The headspace checked great on mine and it shoots 5" groups at 200 yards. If my eyes were better, I think it would be even better. At 100 yards, I can keep them in a 2-3" group. The current Model 48 and 48A that is for sale are great buys! The rifles are in almost mint condition and sell in the area of $180 and worth it. The difference in the Model 48 and 48A is that the Mod. 48 uses all milled small parts and the 48A uses stamped parts for the floorplate, retaining bands, etc. Either of these are gre4at rifles.

I think Ellison's Armory have them for sale. I will attach a link to their site. Good luck on your search and keep me posted, I love to shoot them.

Marvin

Mauser Rifle
Unread 04-30-2001, 02:18 PM   #6
EOC Bob
User

With apologies to Marvin the new never issued or rearsenalized M48 I purchased from Empire Arms (with accessories) for $250 is a crudely made device when compared to my 98K's or Czech Vz-24. The stock is roughly made with wood of poor quality, the bolts machined surfaces are unpolished, and the barrel bands, buttplate and magazine cover are all less than desirable. This, considering that it was a "handpicked" example has left me with a bad taste for M48's. I would recommend a "real" 98K or VZ-24.

Unread 04-30-2001, 06:53 PM   #7
Marvin
User

I agree that the Mod. 48 & 48A are not of the fit and finish of the K98k. Yugoslavia did rework the K98k to a nice finish and left the polishing alone on the Mod 48s. I have seen several, but never fired them; how did yours fire?

I love to shoot my K98k Yugo rework and it shoot great.

Marvin

Unread 04-30-2001, 08:11 PM   #8
Matt
User

I have a non-import 98k that has a mismatched bolt. The bore is in good shape but has some light pitting. I am wondering if getting one that has an excellent bore is going to make much difference in accuracy or if I am just looking for an excuse to buy another gun? How much difference does slight pitting make in a service-grade rifle?

Unread 05-01-2001, 05:45 AM   #9
Marvin
User

Matt,

The light pitting in the bore will not effect the accuracy that much. The big factor in accuracy is worn rifling in the bore. If the rifling is worn bad at the muzzles or the breech, this may cause you problems. I once had an 03 Springfield that was beautiful, but had several large pits in the bore. I could outshoot nost of the guys at the range with it. Keep the 98k and enjoy it; also buy another one too, they are great rifles, ha, ha

Marvin

Unread 05-01-2001, 02:25 PM   #10
EOC Bob
User

I have never shot it Marvin. Only one I haven't. Don't know if I am afraid of altering it's "value", or I'm just ashamed to bring it to the range. Post's over on Tuco's site indicate a perchant to extract hard on "new" M-48's, and I have just not wanted to experience another disappointment. BTW I have just bought two of the recently imported rearsenalized French 49/56's to compliment my MAS36 and 36/51. They are fantastic semi-auto's and are rapidly changing my attitude toward French weapons.

Unread 05-01-2001, 07:43 PM   #11
Mike T.

I have M48A which I got new (with handling dings) from AIM. It is fun and accurate to shoot. It certainly does not have the meticulous wormanship of a Luger, but I also don't agree with many folks who suggest that the stock (which is teak on mine) looks like it was cut with a chain saw. I would say that they are very reliable, are very reasonably priced for what you get, are not particularly sexy or collectable, but still do a good job for what they are designed for. Sort of like a Ford Crown Victoria.

Unread 05-02-2001, 05:47 AM   #12
Marvin
User

Bob,

I have thought about getting one and just putting it up for the future. Then I feel that I would want to shoot it and I would want to work on the stock to make it look good. I think that the stock would look nice it reworked a little. The bluing I have seen on some are OK, but again you are correct that the machining was not that good. After doing stock work, rework the metal and reblue to have a nice looking rifle, I felt it may ruin the value in the future. What decisions we have. But, all I need is another 98 rifle. They take up too much room so I decided to stay with Lugers.

Marvin