LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 03-18-2005, 03:35 PM   #1
byf43
User

Default Beginner's questions - byf42

I just discovered this page. FANTASTIC!!!! A wealth of information!

I'm a P08 beginner. I have some specific questions that I hope you can help me with:

1. Is it possible to estimate an approximate month of production for a byf42 with serial 3581b? Could it be that it was made in march 1942?

2. Were all Mauser made P08's originally delivered magazines serialed to match the serial of the pistol?

3. Is a fxo eagle over 37 marked magazine, with the black plastic buttom part, correct for a byf42? The magazine has no serial stamped on it? Were magazines made without serial (obviously they were but for what purpose)?

4. Can such a magazine be disassembled for cleaning?

I went through the photo gallery earlier. Let me say that you guys have some wonderful P08's.
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2005, 04:15 PM   #2
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Hello Mikkel, Welcome to the Luger Forum!!

The byf 42, S/N 3581b was completed about February of 1942, within a month. Your guess of March was a good one!

All military Mauser Lugers were shipped with two magazines that matched the serial number of the pistol until about July of 1941. After that, which coinsides with the Lugers containing a "U" Suffix, the magazines were either blank aluminum bottom fxo or black plastic bottom fxo types.

The black plastic bottom fxo magazine is correct for your byf 42.

Disassembly of this magazine is difficult, without damaging the plastic material. I would recommend you immerse the metal parts in a good gun solvent, like Hoppe's No. 9 if you can get it, then either air blow or air dry it. This should get much of the grease and grime from the inside surfaces. You may have to repeat this process several times to complete the cleaning.

Good Luck!
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2005, 04:38 PM   #3
byf43
User

Thank you very much.

Last edited by byf43; 10-05-2009 at 05:02 AM.
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote