LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 07-01-2017, 03:28 AM   #1
Stewman
User

Default Grips on a 1938.

Just joined the luger forum. And have a question, I have an all matching numbers luger. Someone carved there initials in the one grip panel, should I leave it alone or have the grip repaired?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170701_002303.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	66925  

Stewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2017, 07:59 AM   #2
4 Scale
User

Your grip also appears to be missing a chip right under the safety lever (very common).

IMO the answer to your question is personal preference. Generally, alterations to original condition devalue a collectible Luger. So the question becomes do you alter it further to remove the first alteration? Repairing these grips likely won't increase the value beyond the cost of the repair, if that.

On collectibles I tend to leave them as acquired, while modifying shooters to cosmetic taste. YMMV.
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to 4 Scale for your post:
Unread 07-01-2017, 08:12 AM   #3
kurusu
User

Is the grip numbered to the pistol?
If so consider a good repair or doing nothing. If not change it if you feel like it.
kurusu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2017, 10:36 AM   #4
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,348 Times in 2,038 Posts

Re-cutting the checkering may make the initials less visible, but you can't put back the missing wood.

I'd probably get the chip fixed and let Jim Solomon do a little improvement to the checkering; but then depending on what it is and the rest looks like- I might just leave it alone.

What does the other side look like?

This is going to be one of those "your pistol, your call" situations, JMHO.
Unread 07-01-2017, 01:05 PM   #5
Jim Solomon
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

It is hard to tell from the photo, but it may be that the letters are carved shallow enough so that a redoing of the checkering can almost eliminate the appears of the initials. The chip at the safety can be nicely repaired.
Jim
The following 3 members says Thank You to Jim Solomon for your post:
Unread 07-02-2017, 11:17 AM   #6
Stewman
User

It's pretty deep at one point there is actually a whole. The grips are numbered underneath and match the last two of the serial number. I git a set of after market wood grips for now. Found someone who said they can fix the grips.
Stewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2017, 12:12 PM   #7
guns3545
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewman View Post
It's pretty deep at one point there is actually a whole. The grips are numbered underneath and match the last two of the serial number. I git a set of after market wood grips for now. Found someone who said they can fix the grips.
Stewart,

I've read your original post and the replies.

I can't find anything that says what you want to accomplish here.

You seem to have an all matching, including grips,1938 Model P.08 with a non-matching, non-period correct magazine. It has a value. Do you want to increase it?? Maintain it?? Reduce it?? Make it look prettier??

Correcting the million dollar chip in the grip panel is acceptable maintenance although a purist might disagree.

IMVHO, re-checkering the grip to remove the initials destroys the collectibility of the gun. You may as well have the gun refinished professionally to get the "just shipped from the factory" look because even to casual observer, it will be clear that these grips do not match the wear patterns exhibited by the gun so they have been messed with.

As the gun exists today, it is collectible. It has a value based on its condition. The non-matching magazine reduces value but only compared to an equivalent gun with a matching magazine. The initials do not. They are probably those of the GI who liberated the piece and brought it home.

Doing anything to those grips with the possible exception of repairing the chip ( Personally, I would leave it alone), will reduce the collectible value of the piece.

Again JMVHO. Its your gun. Do whatever you wish to accomplish whatever you wish to accomplish.

John
guns3545 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to guns3545 for your post:
Unread 07-02-2017, 08:00 PM   #8
Thor
User

Hugh Clark can fix your grips. What he and Brian Powley did on this 1900 AE Luger I restored.

915-526-8925 Email
thor340@aol.com
-----------------------------------
John3:3
Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Thor for your post:
Unread 07-03-2017, 02:50 PM   #9
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,482 Times in 1,323 Posts

Your grips appear to be within the range of potential effective improvement. I have re-checkered several pairs that probably had even less "meat" to work with. One pair had had all the diamonds removed and the terrible beginnings of a new pattern. Those are in the first and third pics. Another set had very deep initials but allowed reasonable results nonetheless. Second and fourth pics. One grip scale revealed very handsome grain character when completed.

In the case of a 70's Mauser (or one of the Houston stainless examples from the 90's), the original grips are usually noticeably thicker than a you'd find on an original Parabellum. The Swiss style versions of the Mausers were made with a pattern that is annoyingly coarse, and it's best for shooting comfort to remove it entirely and reestablish a new, finer pattern which is easier on the hands. And since the thickness is somewhat reduced by the process, it will be much more friendly to use.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ollie Grips 2.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	66985  

Name:	stripped.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	66986  

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	66987  

Name:	0424172326.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	66988  

Unread 07-03-2017, 04:39 PM   #10
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

I would add my vote to the re-checker/repair option. I consider grips to be 'consumables', parts that are expected to wear and be repaired/replaced in the normal course of events. That the originals can be salvaged is a big bonus.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post: