LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 07-16-2004, 02:35 AM   #1
Frank H.
User

Post General question re: reliability and failure feedback

Thanks for letting me draw a bit from all of your experience since I'm new to shooting Lugers (3 now and counting!)

I know there's bound to be a "big" variance here among the condition of Lugers, how badly mismatched / what kind of armorer work was done by whom in the past etc, but in general:

If a Luger is cleaned and lubed properly, correct ammo to prevent mis-feeds etc, if the mag's geometry is right and the spring is proper etc, are malfunctions and breakages pretty rare?

This gets into the topic of shooting / not shooting a nice collection piece, but that aside, I was just curious in general about durability and if there are failures what kind of failures tend to happen (not counting mag & ammo correctable issues).

My Ruger 9mm's are "tanks" without the grace and beauty of the Lugers, but they'd probably run for 20,000 rounds if maintained well without a serious mechanical failure. (But how much fun is driving a tank...)

Would I be thinking somewhat correctly to run a couple of mags through these guns, just every couple of months, take it a bit easy on them?

Thanks for your thoughts, and in my case as of now I've got a VOPO 1913 receiver - S/42 rework, a 1917 DWM Artillery (the "passed off as original" but nicely restored one), and a 1973 Mauser 6" barrel '06 9mm.

Frank H. in L.A.
Frank H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2004, 09:09 AM   #2
Ron Smith
User

Frank, I am a firm believer that guns were made to shoot. I won't own a gun that I won't shoot. Some of the more reserved members I know, won't agree, but that's why this is called a Democracy. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I would be conservative about running 2 or 3 hundred rounds through a minty high dollar pistol. I don't think burning up 50 rounds now and then would be harmful. The only reservation I would have is if a piece shows signs of bore corrosion do to poor maintenance and high usage of corrosive ammo.. This indicates that,while not visible to the naked eye, the other parts, bolt, extractor,firing pin,etc. May have microscopic impregnated corrosion also. This would weaken the parts,and make them more prone to breakage. Just my opinion,based on 40 yrs of shooting and repairing old guns.
A long winded way of saying. Yes, shoot them, but with care.
Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2004, 11:31 AM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts
Ron, Frank, I have always believed that having a gun you can't shoot makes no sense. However, when I bought a gun that was over 1k, hell, I didn't want to pop some caps and break a breachblock, thus dropping the value from 1.8k to $500...

Why shoot a valuable collector piece when you can buy another one just like it to shoot?

Good excuse to tell the ole lady, but I want to shoot one, this one is for investment!

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2004, 02:28 PM   #4
Ron Smith
User

Frank, Ed , Just got back from a shooting session. Did'nt get to shoot where I usually do, (200 to 300 yd clear cut) They were logging in the vicinity. And since loggers don't take to bullets bouncing off their $800,000 yarders and such.And I did'nt fancy having a 36" chainsaw bar inserted in any of my valued orafaces. I opted for a different localle. Shot my 1936 S/42(very accurate and not a glitch) my 1917 Artillery ( same results) and my 1937 S/42 "NAVY" ( shoots a bit high, and does'nt like a limp wrist.Very stout main spring.) Once I used a stiff firm grip, it was flawless. And as I was preparing to try out my 1934 Mauser. I looked to my right. And there I was, with only, a loaded .32 ACP, looking back at me is a 350+lb Black bear, about 40 ft away. I yelled and waved my arms. (Bears are terrified of arm waving, ya know.) Finally I popped off three rounds over his head. He decided I was too old and stringy, and left.
So anyway not a bad morning as soon as I change underwear. The one time, I went out in the woods without my S&W .41 Mag. Never again!!

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2004, 05:48 PM   #5
Frank H.
User

Ron, I appreciate your comments very much, and next time we have a significant riot here in Los Angeles, I'll have to try that arm waving thing. (I'd probably at least make it onto the news).

Ed I already have caught the bug of "this one's for shooting, this one I'll keep mint", and my collection is only 3, so, I need more...

Frank H. in L.A.
Unread 07-16-2004, 05:57 PM   #6
Michael Zeleny
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Has anyone tried using Magnaflux�® / Magnaglo�® portable kits? This seems to be a cost-effective solution for anticipating collector gun part breakages.

http://www.vobaker.com/ndt/magnakit.htm
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3826955996
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2484581567
Unread 07-16-2004, 08:54 PM   #7
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts
Check this parts breakage link for some useful info.

I shoot a 1936 S/42, 300 rounds a month or so, with virtually no failures. I am...not rigorous...about cleaning. I use Mec-Gar magazines and Winchester and S&B ammunition exclusively.

I have a couple other Lugers which I shoot sometimes, a parts gun and an Artillery which is not in pristine condition, but I fall on the side of the fence which doesn't shoot the valuable Lugers on account of breakage potential.

I get considerable enjoyment from both the shooting and non-shooting collecting activity.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2004, 09:47 PM   #8
Frank H.
User

Thanks for the link to your earlier thread on this Dwight, wow, that's sobering the various breakages, but I guess as well it has to be taken in balance with the amount of shooting with "no" breakages, but that prior thread is revelatory.

Re: that list of various "mechanical issues" the members posted about, would it be a probable guess that the 70's Mauser guns might be a bit more breakage free, or is it just par for the course with the design features of the Luger rather than literal age of the gun?

I'm going to enjoy the shooting and "collector - not shot" guns as well Dwight!

Frank H. in L.A.
Unread 07-17-2004, 02:37 PM   #9
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,198 Posts
Hi Frank,

After some really consistant luger shooting the last couple of years, here are the parts I wasted:

1937 S/42
-Ejector spring. Was a repro, replaced by original one. Works better

VoPo WW1/S/42 combo
-Firing pin retainer. Probably due to previous owner shooting home-made crap ammo.

1913 Dutch
-Grip safety leaf spring. Well, after 90 years...

1972 Mauser Parabellum
-Bought with slightly blown-up barrel, again previous owner cooking his own ammo...

I shoot about 100 rounds of S&B 124 grain every week. Both the S/42 and the VoPo have been rebarreled with East-German barrels in the past, so nothing really valuable to break.

I'm easing off on Dutch M11 as it's in too nice a condition to break something expensive. Also replaced the original (fragile) grips on the Dutch and shoot with VoPo bullseye grips that were modified to fit a grip-safety luger.

Also made sure that all firing-pins are of the 'vented' type.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2004, 10:54 PM   #10
Stevie
User

I've replaced the take-down lever spring(weak and worn)and the hold open latch and spring(chipped) on my beat up 1920 DWM. I swapped mainsprings and mag springs around to achieve reliability on that gun too. My mismatched Mauser 42 got new grips because the old ones were ugly and didn't fit. The Mauser seems to be immune from malfunctions, likes any old cheap 9mm ammo.

Stevie.
Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote