LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Commercial Lugers

Unread 06-12-2012, 01:42 AM   #1
glock30
User

Default How could you adjust a safety lever...

on a P-08 commercial so the locking is positive? Is there any procedure to do this? Does the safety lever have a thing that catches the holes in the frame?
glock30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
Grantas
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I think I found this in the archives here and kept a note of it ..Hope it helps ..My apologies to whoever wrote this originally for failing to keep their name associated with it.

"Loose Luger safety lever fix
I recently acquired a 1920 commercial Luger that had a safety lever that moved a little TOO easily from the "safe" to the "fire" position.

I gleaned helpful hints from this forum and LugerForum.com, and thought I would share my experience and what eventually fixed the problem.

I first pulled the safety out to look it over, and when reinstalling it noticed that the position of the locking pin in the frame affected the tightness of the safety.

So before doing anything else, try tapping the pin up or down just a FRACTION within the frame. If the pin is worn but still tight in the frame, you might get lucky and find that the safety now bears against an unworn portion of the pin and the safety is now tighter. I might also suggest removing the pin that locks the safety into the frame and swapping it end-over-end and reinstalling it.

If this doesn't work, someone on this or LugerForum suggested placing a small diameter drill bit (1/16" or smaller) on a hard surface, and then placing the back side of the safety lever (the portion that's against the frame when installed) on the bit and applying a bit of pressure to increase the bend in the exposed portion of the safety lever.

Rolling the safety back and forth slightly across the drill bit as you press down should help spread the area being bent.

You are looking for a VERY small increase in the amount of bend, do NOT be a gorilla and bend the safety across the drill bit so that both ends touch the hard surface. Press lightly at first and then try for fit. The amount of increase in the bend you're looking for is infinitesimal and will not be visible to the eye. I was amazed at how little force I needed to exert to get the bend I required. If you lack patience send your gun to someone who does have it!

I like this method because it strikes me as being more controlled versus other methods that employ a hammer and vise.

Between moving the locking pin and a bit of judicious bending the safety lever is now tight on my commercial Luger. "
Grantas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #3
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,101 Times in 1,427 Posts

Does the safety lever have a thing that catches the holes in the frame?

Yes..there is a ball on the underside of the lever that sits/catches in the holes milled into the Gisechert section. One top and one bottom. Easy to notice.

As the article above indicates there must be some tension towards the frame for these to work properly. You will almost always see between these indents a drag line between them. This line is caused by the lever fitting tightly onto the frame. IF you have lost this spring tension your lever is likely floppy. You NEVER want your lever to get floppy.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
Neil Young
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

You are correct Jerry--nobody wants a floppy lever.

Neil