LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 02-07-2010, 12:37 PM   #1
thegundude
User

Default Gun safe doors that look like regular doors

I'm converting one of the rooms in my house to store my growing collection. The custom vault no longer serves the purpose well enough. It's FULL!! LOL!

So, I have the walls reinforced well enough but I'd like to instal a door that is both secure and looks like a regular door and not a safe door. I've searched Google all morning but haven't found just what I'm looking for yet.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm considering creating my own if I can't find something appropriate.

~Steve
thegundude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2010, 04:07 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts

Steve, remember the walls and door jamb is easier to wrench open than a door.

My father in law, after he passed away had shown me where he hid the keys, it was two dead bolts, seemed nice and secure, well brother in law (6'5") and sister in law did not know about key (we found it later) and they took a small crowbar and were into the "closet" / "safe" in 2 minutes.

So, the weak spot as I said is the door jambs.

ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2010, 05:25 PM   #3
c3006
User

Heres what you might be looking for. c
http://www.browning.com/products/cat...&type_id=39581
Unread 02-11-2010, 09:56 AM   #4
thegundude
User

Ed, the house is about sixty years old and was made with all plaster walls with wood slats behind. So someone would have to beat or cut though two layers of two inch thick plaster + deal with the wood slats between that plaster. When I remodeled the master bathroom I thought I would never get though the walls, LOL! So I'm not that worried about the walls.

Same with the door jambs. Newer homes are built with the preframed doors but mine are serperately hung. The door jambs are much stronger than in the average house. I do intend to reinforce whats there, but it should be an easy fix.

Clint, that's the kind of door I was thinking of but I dont want to spend so much money, LOL!! I was hoping for something that was in the neighborhood of about $1,500 - $2,000. I might have to build my own again but I was hoping to save the time by spending a little more money.

~Steve
Unread 02-11-2010, 10:22 AM   #5
Ron Smith
User

Steve,

I saw a hidden vault that the door was a nothing more that a solid core door with a 1/8" thick piece of sheet metal securely bolted or screwed every 4" center to center around the edges, to the back. The hinges were held in place by carriage bolts through a 4x4 frame. It would have been easier to chop through a solid wall than to get through that door.

A determined thief can defeat any security system given enough time. I saw a door on a heavy office safe peeled and rolled like a sardine can. It took then several hours to do it, but they did it. The trick is to make it too much work, or to take too much time to get into. Thieves want to get in and get out as fast as possible.

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2010, 11:23 AM   #6
Heinz
User

The easiest way to jump a door jamb is with a bumper jack and a couple of 2X4s as rest blocks, It will not even leave a mark. I got into a prior house I owned that was brick on brick that way. If you want them to not know where it is and still be secure, why not two doors. The romm door connected to an alarm with the vault door behind it
Heinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2010, 03:55 PM   #7
suum cuique
User

Location: MD / Currently about 9000 klicks east of the Potomac

Years ago I used an extra room in my basement as my "HQ",
I just put an IKEA "Billy" shelf in front of the door when I left the house for a longer time. Nobody could see the door to the room where I kept my guns and other valuables.
Unread 02-11-2010, 05:09 PM   #8
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Steve, i agree, but a chainsaw can do a lot of damage quick to most walls.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Unread 02-11-2010, 05:53 PM   #9
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Where there is a will, there is a way. Have an alarm system and make things hard. Also keep a few decoys out to distract them.
Unread 02-11-2010, 06:13 PM   #10
fred p
User

in a house I lived in years ago I turned a closet into a safe room by using a solid core door. I built the wall up with solid studs to the corner and used 6" lag screws and 5" ball bearing commercial hinges. Then I built a bookcase on the door with 3 piece trim to completely hide the fact that it was a door. the trim on the hinge side was mounted with hidden hinges. you fliped the trim back to allow the hinges to work. the toe kick under the door looked like part of the bookcase but was attached to the floor. I glued together a few books that sat in front of the deadbolt. I used crown molding around the top and used this space to hide my home defense piece and the key was in another closet hung on a nail. no one ever knew it was a closet and the HDP was readily accessible.
Unread 02-11-2010, 07:14 PM   #11
alvin
User

Rent a secure deposit box, store all bolts inside.

The rest can be stored in home. Even if lost, gun without bolt is not much use or value.

But, if the rest lost, the bolt alone is also not much use or value.

Pistol is easy. Only store frames at home, except the self-defense one.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2010, 07:29 PM   #12
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Alvin, sounds like theives wouldn't know or care, they'd still be stolen.

Ed
Unread 02-11-2010, 07:58 PM   #13
alvin
User

The size causes some headache. That's one reason I don't buy any long guns. Well, except a few Yugo SKS that I liked so much. Long guns occupies too much space.

Collecting miniature do have one extra advantage, the whole collection can be saved in a bank box.

But if loving long guns, then, ... sorry, I don't know.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2010, 01:31 AM   #14
thegundude
User

Good points, all...

I do have an alarm system and one of those mace bombs ordered too. I agree that there is just no stopping a determined thief, all I can do is make it hard on them.

Alvin, I like the idea about storing the bolts seperately though. I agree with Ed that they will almost certainly be stolen anyway, but at least they won't get near the value out of them. But I also have a lot of AK's and other guns that aren't as easy to remove bolts but that I also want to have handy in case I might need them in a pinch. What I may do is to put some of the more valuable gun's bolts in the small safe that's hidden in the house and that way they will still be close to hand.

I'm still looking for the right door though. I've decided that it should be a regular looking door that is solid and has several secure bolts to keep it locked. I'll reinforce the frame a bit more too.

Besides that high dollar unit from Browning that Clint suggested, anyone know of any other manufacturers that make them?

~Steve
Unread 02-12-2010, 04:49 PM   #15
dalep38
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Guys: Just about any room can be breached pretty quickly, believe me after 40 years in construction there's a tool for everything. We have cut thru solid concrete walls 8" thick with 4" on center #6 aka (3/4") steel rebar in no time at all with the right tool. The best and only way to secure your collections is #1 -don't let anyone know you have one at home and # 2 totally disguise the location and or entry into the location. remember" loose lips sink ships. If you were to ask me I'd tell you that all of my guns are kept offsite in a secure storage facility with the exception of my defense piece. And I'd also tell you that I would need some time to get to the guns at my storage area. Don't just take a few minutes and appear with that one of a kind rare fortune that took you 25 years to obtain in your collection...Just my 2 cents..Thank You, Dale
Unread 02-15-2010, 06:22 PM   #16
thegundude
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalep38 View Post
Guys: Just about any room can be breached pretty quickly, believe me after 40 years in construction there's a tool for everything. We have cut thru solid concrete walls 8" thick with 4" on center #6 aka (3/4") steel rebar in no time at all with the right tool. The best and only way to secure your collections is #1 -don't let anyone know you have one at home and # 2 totally disguise the location and or entry into the location. remember" loose lips sink ships. If you were to ask me I'd tell you that all of my guns are kept offsite in a secure storage facility with the exception of my defense piece. And I'd also tell you that I would need some time to get to the guns at my storage area. Don't just take a few minutes and appear with that one of a kind rare fortune that took you 25 years to obtain in your collection...Just my 2 cents..Thank You, Dale
Hi Dale and thanks for your contribution. I just assume that everyone here starts with the understanding of keeping silent about the collection (for the most part). Sad thing is that most of us are proud of our collections and want to share them with other collectors and our buddies. Keeping the fact that you're a collector quiet is almost impossible. I'm always asking folks about old guns they have and offering to buy them. Its impossible to keep it very quiet.

I certainly agree with the "keep it hidden" mantra though. Perhaps a fake wall or bookcase is the best solution...

~Steve
Unread 02-17-2010, 10:43 AM   #17
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

A member who shall remain nameless once told me that he had prepared a home vault behind a false wall that had a steel inside walls, and a steel reinforced door. It was a walk in space that was secured behind an invisible wall that was opened with a keyless remote like the one most folks use to lock and unlock their car. A clever but expensive idea.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote