LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 08-19-2009, 11:55 PM   #1
MFC
User

Default type 14 Nambu #2

A friend of mine asked me to put this on the forum for revue.
This is a letter from the previous owner to my friend who owns the gun now.

I purchased this pistol many years ago, sometime in the 60's at a gun show. A young man, who's father was in WWII, as a US Army soldier, brought it back from Okinowa, as a war souvenir. He had passed away leaving it to his son. As the son came into the show trying to sell it, after asking all the dealers in the show for bids, before stopping at my table, the only offers he had were $60 and $75. I purchased it for $125 because after examination, I knew it had to be special, as there was no date of Mfg., arsenal markings or regular issue serial#, so I puchased it as an oddity. I've had it in my collection since then. Only about two years ago, after a new book on nambu pistols came out, I found them to be, "Familerization Pistols", used in factory training only.
The book's author only shows two others #3 and #6. This put my pistol #2 as one of the three known to this date. As their records listing Mfg. no longer exist, only time will tell how many were made, or survived the war. Because these were not listed as issue firearms, it can only be guessed at. They were gathered at wars end, to arm soldiers in the Japanese Army that were sent to the island of Okinawa. As this was their last airstrip, if the USA took this island they would be in range to bomb their homeland.
Hope this information helps you with your collection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image3.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	7782  

Name:	20090817_31.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	7783  

Name:	Image1.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	7784  

Name:	Image6.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	7785  

Name:	Image7.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	7786  

Name:	Image12.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	7788  

Name:	Image13.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	7789  

Name:	Image5.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	238.8 KB
ID:	7790  

Name:	Image4.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	248.3 KB
ID:	7791  

Attached Images

Unread 08-20-2009, 10:21 AM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Hi Mike, As I recall, Ed Tinker and George Anderson are two folks who are pretty knowledgeable about the Nambu's... Ed is in Oregon this week and is only checking in occasionally... but George is usually on every day.

I can't help you at all here, because compared to German guns, Japanese guns have always looked to me like they were made by convicts with files inside a prison in secret... Not exactly high quality.

I have never had much of an interest in them...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 10:23 AM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts

I have never seen one with no markings on the left (date etc).

I have books at home and can look it up via other markings.

If it was later war looking, I'd think a USA GI put together.....

I disagree with John, they are well made, nice shooting guns; unless you are looking to sell, then I would double your money you paid. I would guess something like this, as a curiousity would sell for around $400, perhaps a bit mroe. HOWEVER, you get it shown or proven to be a "Familerization Pistols", used in factory training only and the value would go up a $1000 I would guess.

Nambu's have not risen in value compared to a Luger, or even a P38 over the last 25 years.

The Banzai forum could give the best answers to it. http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 12:47 PM   #4
Lyn Islaub
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Mike,
I would agree with Ed, in that even though the late war Type 14s looked a little rough, the great majority of the Type 14s were very well made. From the quality of the finish on yours, I would guess it to have been made in the mid-1930s, as the strawing of small parts was not generally evident in wartime produced versions. I have both 1937 and 1938 versions of the Type 14s and the quality of the finish is very close to matching P-08s that I own of the same vinatage.
As John indicated, George Anderson is very knowlegable and would be able to tell you more about your pistol.
Lyn
Lyn Islaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 04:09 PM   #5
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Quote:
"I disagree with John, they are well made, "
Ed, I have heard that opinions are like elbows... everybody has them... I just never have liked them, OR japanese rifles either......

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 04:32 PM   #6
MFC
User

Thank you very much for the replies,
Does anybody know the author or book the seller is refering to in his letter?
Unread 08-20-2009, 06:32 PM   #7
alvin
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sabato View Post
Ed, I have heard that opinions are like elbows... everybody has them... I just never have liked them, OR japanese rifles either......
When I was a kid, Nambu, specificly Type 14 was my dream gun. The reason was simple, all other pistols in museums looked complex, "Isn't this one simple enough that I can make one at home?"

At that time, my biggest wonder was "How does the trigger control the firing pin? There was magazine blocking in the middle". I wrote a letter to a firearm magazine asking them to publish more articles on firearm details, "Please show more details, I want details" Of course I did not tell them my objective

They did not publish more details, but they replied. "If you choose firearm design as your major field of study in college, you will learn everything...." A good way to persuade kids, maybe?

I really wanted to take that advice, however, I could not because of family pressure. But Nambu Type 14 has a special place in my mind for many many years.

So I figured gun collecting is not regarding quality, it's culture and background related.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 06:44 PM   #8
Ice
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin;
163577So I figured gun collecting is not regarding quality, it's culture and background related.
+100 --- and history related.

Charlie
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2009, 12:21 AM   #9
Sieger
User

Default Nambu Type 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sabato View Post

I can't help you at all here, because compared to German guns, Japanese guns have always looked to me like they were made by convicts with files inside a prison in secret... Not exactly high quality.

I have never had much of an interest in them...
John:

I once shared your opinion, until I started collecting and shooting pre-war Type 14 Nambus.

They are of excellent fit and finish and, in my opinion, of generally better design than the Luger.

Really, they are a modified C-96 System Mauser with the Luger's frame and magazine (an over simplification).

The only thing I really don't find up to par is the safty device (sure, but placed way out of reach of the shooting hand for operation). Some complain regarding the 8mm cartridge, but I find it in the same "range" as the 7.65mm Parabellum.

The next time you get a chance to really take a look at a fine pre-war Type 14, you should.

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2009, 12:25 AM   #10
Sieger
User

MFC:

It looks like the pistol may need a good cleaning for proper long-term storage and preservation.

Sieger
Unread 08-21-2009, 06:50 AM   #11
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

I also have coveted the Type 14 for many decades; but only the model with the "Winter" trigger guard...

I've always wondered why the Japanese, a smallish people, made such a huge pistol...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2009, 03:15 PM   #12
Sieger
User

Default Nambu T-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by postino View Post
I also have coveted the Type 14 for many decades; but only the model with the "Winter" trigger guard...

I've always wondered why the Japanese, a smallish people, made such a huge pistol...
Hi:

There is always the 7mm model, if you want a smaller more compact pistol.

You are right, as the T-14 is a lot heavier than a Luger.

Why do you collect only the Winter Trigger Gard models?

Sieger
Unread 08-21-2009, 06:00 PM   #13
alvin
User

Nambu obviously had Parabellum 1900 as a contour reference gun. I feel it's not easy to build a very compact gun when there is a barrel extension mechnism, i.e. bolt and receiver are seperated, not integrated into a Browning style slide. But the situation was a little bit better in Parabellum style pistols -- at least the magazine is in the grip and that saves some length. Pistol with barrel extension is now obsolete, but it's very stylish.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote