LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Luger Accessories

Unread 02-27-2007, 12:49 PM   #1
OGN
User

Default 22 conversion unit

Earlier in another part of this forum I had mentioned that I have a Mauser Banner luger with a 1940 date on it that was passed down to me. What also came with it was a loading tool, extra mags,a holster and a .22 conversion kit made by a company called Erma. All the parts had matching #s except for the magazine, which only holds 5 rounds it seems. I read about these 22 units in an old 1976 edition of a softcover book by Michael Reese called "Luger Tips" that also was part of the package and it shows the unit being installed which looks pretty much straight forward. Has anyone here ever tried one of these units? I'm half tempted to install it on my pistol for S****and G****** and see if it runs reliably with it.
OGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2007, 07:44 AM   #2
Steinar
User

Thought I should wait for someone with more experience with .22 conversion kit's to answer, before I shared my very narrow knowledge about the subject..

I'm still trying to make my kit function. I ended up with a new receiver /w barrel just for the .22 kit. Made the slots on the receiver a little wider reduce the friction against the frame. I have also polished the feeding ramp and tried three different magazines and ha heck of .22 brands..
Think the only problem now is that the firing pin spring is too weak (or the pin to short). It just don't go bang half of the times..
Most likely you are more lucky than me with your kit, I suggest you try it on and find out. As you probably know, these kits are rather expensive, so I would be careful not scratching the barrel with the ejector and so on..
..if you try it, it would be great with a little report on how it worked
Unread 03-02-2007, 01:44 PM   #3
OGN
User

Okay, last night I looked it over for the first time in almost seven years of being tucked away and noticed one small problem: The extractor and it's related parts(i.e. spring, pin, etc...) are missing from the top front of the bolt face. If anyone has ideas where I can get a replacement for it( and that's probably a tall request) I would be very grateful. Anyhow, I went ahead and installed the unit onto the pistol anyway to check for fit and function when at least manually cycling a round into the chamber. While pointing it into a "shoot box" for safety, it performed very smoothly with all five rounds, although I had to raise the pistol upwards while holding the bolt back to let each round drop out of the chamber when cycling due to absence of the extractor. The mag follower has a small ledge on the rear which catches the bolt after the last round, allowing the bolt to stay open after the last shot is fired, like it's 9mm counterpart. If I can get hold of an extractor, then I could actually fire the damn thing and give a real report on how it works. I really feel that it would perform very well.
Unread 03-20-2007, 04:59 PM   #4
beeman
User

Try this site for replacement Erma parts:

http://www.sarcoinc.com/erma22.html
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2007, 08:04 AM   #5
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Steinar, You should remove the ejector from your PO8 when using the Erma SE1 conversion kit. Sarco carries some parts for the later SE2 kit. I doubt that the extractors are interchangable. TH
Unread 05-20-2007, 05:43 PM   #6
OGN
User

I checked with them and they have no extractors for either version. So I'll keep looking.
Unread 03-31-2008, 08:28 AM   #7
Steinar
User

Quote:
Originally posted by Lugerdoc
Steinar, You should remove the ejector from your PO8 when using the Erma SE1 conversion kit. Sarco carries some parts for the later SE2 kit. I doubt that the extractors are interchangable. TH

I have been sleeping in class, and didn't read Tom's post until yesterday.
Removing the ejector DID work! Thanks!

For me it's a lesson learned and I'm passing it along as a word of advice.
Could be easy to overlook as the mechanism does work with it installed, it will just not function reliable and will cause a lot of

Unread 03-31-2008, 11:48 AM   #8
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,930 Times in 1,194 Posts

This one's a bit big, but should be interesting. A sectioned drawing from an old Erma Brochure:

Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2008, 03:55 PM   #9
Steinar
User

Nice drawing Gerben!

This is a scan of the manual that came with a post war Erma set I have.
It's a bit funny to read, supposed to be a manual, instead it comes out like a almost ironic commercial for the product.