LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 09-04-2001, 09:58 PM   #1
dobk

Default LP08 Arrived

Lp08 I posted about a couple of weeks ago arrived today. As described and happy with it for the price as a shooter but have a couple of questions.

It's a 1918 DWM serial # is 9246a and there is a hard edge on the frame between the digits and the suffix just like that 11a (also a 1918 DWM LP08) on Auction Arms that John Sabato (see pic of mine below). Did notice that the front of the receiver and front of the frame line up perfectly.

Also some mill marks on rear toggle (where rear sight would be on a 4") run perpendicular to axis of the gun from very rear up to where gripping ears begin. Serial there is sharp so not sure if a rear (click link to see pic). Wonder if a replacement frame or rework. Finish is consistent throughout except for mismatched sideplate (It is numbered 53 in the commercial manner). Also everything matches except sideplate and I think the grips. Any opinions?

Click for Rear Toggle Pic
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...nce=0&res=high

Unread 09-05-2001, 10:56 AM   #2
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,101 Times in 1,427 Posts
Default Re: LP08 Arrived

Dobk, I looked at several of my lugers when this subject came up and some are rounded nicely and some have a line edge. I think this was a machining operation that could leave a line edge there. Your 1918 sounds like a great gun but I don't think anyone would go to the trouble to change the serial because there is little money in doing so. Jerry

Unread 09-05-2001, 11:48 AM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default The way to determine if the frame serial number has been altered...

is to compare the type font of the stamp used for the suspicious number to the rest of the numbers on the frame. As Jerry said, the line on the front is not necessarily an indication of serial number alteration... but when you see it, be careful. Usually when a number has been illegally altered, the flat that must be filed is substantial in order to remove any trace of the original number.

Since your new Luger does not have a very substantial flat on the front of the frame and the frame lines up with the upper receiver, I don't think you have to worry about it...

Nice photo BTW, I can't wait to see the rest of the gun...

best to you, enjoy that Luger!

John