LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 02-07-2007, 03:17 AM   #1
Bob in OH
User

Default Heads up: Russian Luger... 1906

There is one currently on auction that's at 4K... Check out gunrunnerauctions.com

The auction ends tonight 2/7 @ 1800 EST

Are these as "rare" as the gun auction suggests? Here's what was written:

"German Luger 1906 Russian, 9mm auto pistol. Serial #1287. Rare Russian contract. Very good condition. Bluing is 90%, walnut grips are very good. Correct vivid markings or a Russian: Crossed rifles on breech ring, DWM on toggle, Cyrillic safety markings. Grip safety. 4" barrel with very good bore. Matching serials frame, barrel, takedown lever, sideplate, toggle. Straw is 20% on trigger, 70% on magazine catch, 20% on safety latch. As you know, one of the rarest Lugers out there. Super investment piece! You're going to look long and hard for another Russian, don't pass this one up. The ultimate Luger collector. C&R OK."

I'm not a fan of the seller and certainly have no connection to this piece...
Bob in OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2007, 10:53 AM   #2
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,104 Times in 1,679 Posts

They are as rare as the auction suggests. This one has a higher serial number than any others I have encountered (usually only three digits) but that doesn't necessarily mean it isn't right. It is hard to tell from internet photos but certainly looks good. If it is a fake it is the best I have seen so far, and if it is legitimate its current bid is about 1/3 of its collector value.
Unread 02-07-2007, 11:14 AM   #3
Tony S.
User

Isn't that number high for a Russian Luger? It looks like some of the guns for sale in the auction are re-blued (P-38s(. Anyway, I placed a bid on the mismatched Simson.
"SEMPER PARATUS"
Tony S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2007, 11:24 AM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts

Tony, I see it is a $1260 and you were outbid. I was considering this one too, although being a defiinate sideplate mismatch, I don't think it is worth over $1250 in todays market and that is higher than I would have bid....

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2007, 06:39 PM   #5
Tony S.
User

As I was posting my last reply someone outbid me. Anyway, those were my thoughts too, hence my highest bid for $1250. If it was all matching, maybe more, but not for a mismatch. I think that I will have to go for the Banner!
Tony S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2007, 07:18 PM   #6
SteveM
User

$8050 on the Russian..wonder what the fat barrel will go for.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2007, 08:14 PM   #7
thegundude
User

Oh great! That's all I need. ANOTHER gun auction site!

They have a nice selection of Lugers that you don't see everyday. But things tend to sell at top dollar prices too...

~Steve
thegundude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2007, 10:06 PM   #8
Pete Ebbink
User

Steve,

What can you tell me might not be right with this one ?

http://www.gunrunnerauctions.com/lis...mnum=854991338
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2007, 10:15 PM   #9
Bob in OH
User

I live a stone's throw from the seller. I must admit, he's not into helping collectors, nor wanting to learn, or being square with buyers. He's interested in his 15%... AS explicitly stated by the seller... caveat emptor.

The collection of P.38 and P.08s could not be field stripped (on this auction and I wonder why). Sure, he represents the consigner, but he's one of many carnival barkers selling stuff on todays market....

As always, the buyer better know more than the seller and ask great questions before swallowing the bait...
Bob in OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2007, 10:27 PM   #10
thegundude
User

Pete, I sure don't know. Now that you mention it I'm looking it over with a fine toothed comb but I'm not a big expert of Swiss Lugers. It was one of the ones I was drooling over though. Awfully nice finish and grips. The grips don't look right but I doubt that's it.

Can you give me a hint?

~Steve
Unread 02-07-2007, 10:54 PM   #11
Pete Ebbink
User

Hi Steve,

Actually the '24 Bern luger made by the Swiss was supposed to be identical to the M1906 DWM had made for them but stopped with the outbreak of WWI. But the Swiss went with their own version of grips with the plain borders along their sides. You only see this on the '24 Bern lugers.

Take a look at this luger's toggle knobs...it should have the "dicing" pattern of the German-made M1906 lugers.

You don't see them do you ???

The toggle knobs/link on this '24 Bern is actually a spare part from the Swiss M1929 Bern luger...those knobs were made smooth with no dicing or lateral grooves.
Unread 02-08-2007, 09:25 AM   #12
thegundude
User

Oh... yeah, I see it. Good eye, Pete.

I still wouldn't mind adding it to my collection though.

I've been looking for something with a Swiss type grip safety but they command such high prices. Even for the mismatched shooters...

~Steve
Unread 02-09-2007, 04:56 PM   #13
Lyn Islaub
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Nice catch Pete and If I'm not mistaken the magazine bottom is wrong too.
Lyn
Lyn Islaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2007, 05:11 PM   #14
Pete Ebbink
User

Hi Lyn,

Actually...a Swiss metal disk, insert mag for a '24 Bern would be wrong. The '24 Bern mag is plain wood, usually not numbered (but some are with 2-digits) and have unique traits that set them off from DWM plain wood, commercial magazines.

BTW...the '24 Bern term is wrong as well...but I am just to lazy to type out "M1906 W+F" all the time...

The Swiss left a little more shape of the "knobs" along the bottom of the wood. And I think the concentric circle of each finger knob is a bit more fat is shape than DWM.

The plating on a Bern magazine tube is usually a bit more "matte" in finish as well.

I think the magazine with this auction luger might actually be a '24 Bern magazine.

I will post up photos of 3 '24 Bern magazines I own...

Unread 02-09-2007, 11:03 PM   #15
southriv
User

From Bob in Ohio: "I live a stone's throw from the seller. I must admit, he's not into helping collectors, nor wanting to learn, or being square with buyers. He's interested in his 15%... AS explicitly stated by the seller... caveat emptor. "

I bought an auction piece from them a couple years ago. They were not a big help in authenticating the item. It was a mismatch presented as original. I got burned and stuck with a piece that was worth half of what I paid. Luckily it was not super expensive. Still, they do not provide good enough close-ups or phone help. When I have dealt with a auction houses, they will dismantle a gun to check what I need to know.

Personally, I think many of these Lugers look "touched up"

Bob
southriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2007, 11:03 PM   #16
southriv
User

From Bob in Ohio: "I live a stone's throw from the seller. I must admit, he's not into helping collectors, nor wanting to learn, or being square with buyers. He's interested in his 15%... AS explicitly stated by the seller... caveat emptor. "

I bought an auction piece from them a couple years ago. They were not a big help in authenticating the item. It was a mismatch presented as original. I got burned and stuck with a piece that was worth half of what I paid. Luckily it was not super expensive. Still, they do not provide good enough close-ups or phone help. When I have dealt with real auction houses, they will dismantle a gun to check what I need to know.

Personally, I think many of these Lugers look "touched up"

Bob
Unread 02-10-2007, 10:22 AM   #17
southriv
User

For what it's worth, my amatuer opinion on the Fat Barrel:

It definately a wide trigger gun, which is correct, but the barrel and side plate appear to be replacements. I noted with interest that the current high bidder is Revshop - aka Midwest Firearms, of which there has been some disussion. To me, it just does not look right and in the same way many of the Lugers in this series of auctions look, well - off. If this were real, it would hit 15-20k on a place like Rock Island Auctions.

Bob
Unread 02-10-2007, 01:02 PM   #18
Pete Ebbink
User

Bob,

Some of us have captured photos of this AE FB over on Jan's Gun Boards.

Serial is now noted as well with a member at the preview days...in case this one surfaces, again, for sale in the future.
Unread 09-07-2007, 07:43 PM   #19
Pete Ebbink
User

Bob,

I had an exchange with this fellow about a recent Swiss Luger that was actually a '24 Bern dressed up and forged to look more like a M1906 Cross/Shield.

Owner of the auction house basically said he is there to sell and make money and buyer buys at their risk...

He also threw some insults my way and said the only "expert" opinion he listens to is from some west-coast fellow with over 500 guns for sale...

Th gun in question went for $ 2600 or so...one day the new owner will find out what he/she has and then will probably dump it in some other auction house venue. Bad guns seem to be like bad burritos...they burn several times on the way down.

Here is the posting I did over on Jan's Gun Boards about that particular gun :

http://luger.gunboards.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12502

I decided then not to give them any of my business.

They do have this statement on their web site in their "About Us" section...

It might need an edit...

" You will find The Gunrunner to be a different type of gun store. We are NICE, learned, and always willing to talk at length with you. We are hunters, guides, collectors, competitive shooters - WE HAVE BEEN THERE. All of The Gunrunner employees are shooters/collectors/hunters - we LOVE guns and the people who collect them. We sure look forward to talking with you about your needs! "

But with gun shop counter help like this, I am sure they get lots of street traffic coming in...

The guys in the shops around my home seem to only bathe once per month...

Unread 09-09-2007, 07:48 PM   #20
drbuster
User

Pete, I wonder who the "west coast fellow" is? Thanks for your persistence in exposing this "profit at any cost" seller.
drbuster is offline   Reply With Quote