LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Artillery Lugers

Unread 02-08-2006, 08:33 AM   #1
KS750
User

Default Stock only original to the Artillery?

Hi,

I�´ve got a question concerning the stock of a S/42 Luger.
The metal parts are number-matching to the gun but the wooden part has obviously been renumbered as the original number still is visible.

My question now is:

Could the stock still be original to the gun (maybe some higher ranked soldier has ordered it to his rig)?

Regards,

Christoph.

P.S.: The gun belongs to a friend of mine, I�´ll try to take some pics the next time we meet.
KS750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2006, 08:48 AM   #2
Ron Smith
User

Hi Christoph,

The stock would not be original to an S/42 Luger. Stocks were issued only with Artillery and Navy Lugers of Imperial vintage.

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2006, 08:57 AM   #3
KS750
User

Hi Ron,

thank you for your quick reply.

I�´ll try and post some pictures as soon as possible, maybe it can be identified as where it belongs to.

Christoph
Unread 02-08-2006, 05:01 PM   #4
Navy
RIP

If attached to any S/42, you are looking at a possible trip to Club Fed and gettin' to know Bubba....

Tom A
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2006, 06:21 PM   #5
Pete Ebbink
User

Hey Ron,

Didn't some of the WWII era 4" lugers get fitted to stocks and holster for the Finnish military...? Just not sure what model Mauser lugers were involved...
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2006, 07:14 PM   #6
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Hey Tom A, take note that the requestor's location is Germany... I don't think that stocks attached to a P.08 are illegal there... I jumped to the same conclusion, but settled down when I saw where he is from...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2006, 12:15 AM   #7
Big Norm
RIP

John Sabato,
dittos, the Germans may be able to do whatever they want. But it would be nice to see that the original serial numbers match someone on the forums artillery Luger. Slim chance, but still better than no chance.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2006, 12:41 AM   #8
Big Norm
RIP

Pete,
you hit it on the nose regarding a stock on the Finish P-08's. There is quite a write up on it in John Walters book 'The Luger Book' on pages 112 thru 115. There is even a picture of the stock, holster, P08 and accessories on page 115. There appears to be no cup for the stock but there is a strap for the neck of the stock attached to the nose of the holster. The picture does not show the backside on the holster to show how the stock would be totally attached to the holster. Probably the staps were used as a second anchor on the holster to hold the stock. The flap on the holster is not like the flab on an artillery holster. The finish holsters flap looks like any other P-08 flap. There is something different about the strap on the flap though. There doesn't appear to be a buckle or a pin to hold it down.
Big Norm
Unread 02-09-2006, 12:43 AM   #9
Big Norm
RIP

Ron Smith,
don't forget that the Persian and the Siamese artilleries of the Nazi era also had board stocks. But that probably is not the case in this instance.
Big Norm
Unread 02-10-2006, 08:38 AM   #10
KS750
User

Hi,

didn�´t make it to take some pics yet but the Original Number used to be #8823 as far as I can remember.

@ Tom A: Writing even a brief overview on German gun-law would take out the whole forum for at last one week (German Gov. seems to be addicted to laws and restrictions) but as far as I know adding a stock to a handgun is far more acceptable here than sawing one off from a rifle ;-) .
Besides the owner of the gun is a retired policeman - he should know what he is doing.

How could one determine wether the gun is finnish or not (it is marked gesichert/ geladen).

Christoph