LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 06-03-2005, 12:34 PM   #1
Steinar
User

Default Something wrong with the gun?

I have an ww2 Melior 7.65mm (.30) that I decided to try yesterday. I'm not an active pistol shooter and just wanted to see how it worked.
After a few rounds I found out that the recoil was very weak, and there was a lot of smoke coming out after each round.. The top of the magazine was black from smoke after just 10 rounds! The ammunition I used is probably as old as the gun, but looked ok to me. I tryed shooting at some wood to check penetration.. is this normal for this calibre?? ..if not.. can it be unsafe to use? (it's mostly a collection item for me, so it's no big deal. just wanted the advice from more experienced shooters about this. It came with a Luger i bought, and both of the guns was taken from the same german officer after the war)

Unread 06-03-2005, 02:54 PM   #2
Rod WMG
User

Well, I'm not an expert, but it could well be that the ammo is getting weak, the recoil impulse being the reason I'm saying this. Ammo lasts a long time, as I'm sure you know, but a lot of how it lasts is based on storage conditions I'm told.

A side by side comparison with known good ammo seems in order.

Major danger, I think, is possibly getting a bullet stuck in the barrel if underpowered and firing another or several more after it without being aware of the non-exiting bullets.

I spoke to the former Speer tech a few years ago who told me they sectioned one barrel a customer sent in and found so many bullets in the barrel they eventually filled it and stopped the cylinder rotation on his revolver.
Rod WMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2005, 06:18 PM   #3
Steinar
User

Thanks, I tought the penetration power was a "bit" to low.. It's probably the old ammo getting weak then. I will lisen to your advice and stop shooting with this ammo. Maybe someday I will try it again with new ammo