LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 03-18-2002, 01:43 PM   #1
Gilly
User

Default Re: BYF 42

I purchased a BYF42. All numbers match except for the aluminum bottom magazine. It is about 85-90% and has the black plastic grips. On the forward end of the receiver are stamped 135, 136 with banners above both numbers. There is also an extention on the heel of the grip. What are the 135, 136 , is the magazine coorect for that luger and is that a shoulder stack extention.

Unread 03-18-2002, 02:04 PM   #2
The Shadow

Default BYF 42

Eagle/135 is the Mauser WaffenAmt [Weapons Office] stamp.

The 'thingee' is a stock lug.

The mags were generally FXO coded with either aluminum or Plastic bases.

The Shadow Knows!

Unread 03-18-2002, 02:11 PM   #3
Marvin
User

Gilly,

The 1942 Luger could have an aluminum bottom or a plastic bottom magazine and be correct (aluminum bottom should be numberedt o the pistol). This magazine is called the "Type 4" and will be straight cut across the bottom, and the pin holding the bottom to the body will be located in the center of aluminum bottom, in the dished out area.

The numbers stamped on the right side of the receiver are the Waffenamt Stamps and these are military inspection stamps and the final test proof stamps. If you will look in the Technical Information Section on the left, and then click on the "Markings" section, you can read a history of the Waffenamt, and the types stamps you have on your pistol.

As to the stock lug, yes a shoulder stock can be attached to it, but DO NOT DO THIS, EVER! It is not legal to attach a shoulder stock to your pistol unless it has been registered with the ATF, and they probably would not allow it anyway. The shoulder stock is normally used with Artillary Lugers of the WWI Era.

Glad to have yo on the Forum and come often. I hope this has helped a little and maybe others may have additional information to offer.

Marvin

Unread 03-18-2002, 03:27 PM   #4
bill m
User

Default Byf 42 Magazines-

Hi Marvin,

Some of the information you have given Gilly is NOT correct -- The byf 42 Lugers had either blank, black plastic based magazines or blank, aluminium based magazines. AFTER THE U BLOCK OF THE BYF 41 Lugers, there are very few, if any, numbered aluminium based magazines. If the reference books your are using say otherwise, then they have the wrong informatin also. There MAY be a few that were issued with a matching aluminium base after the U block, but most are renumbered or faked to match, so for general reference purposes, anything after the U block should be blank.

Unread 03-18-2002, 04:19 PM   #5
Marvin
User

Default Re: Byf 42 Magazines-

Bill,

The word "should" in my statement WAS an error, it should have been "COULD be numbered". My fingers were typing and my brain was thinking about work and I did not do a close check. I am not using reference books at work, just my head. Don't know what the books say about the cutoff for numbering, but I will go by what the newer book authors like Still says.

Marvin

Unread 03-18-2002, 05:21 PM   #6
bill m
User

Default Book reference

Hi Marvin,

Do not take this wrong, please. It is your decision to believe what you think is correct. The answer I submitted is the correct answer for this subject, regardless of what the books say. If you want to accept it and consider it useful information, that is also your choice. If you choose to relate the wrong information, then it will be in print and is considered fact to everyone that looks at that post, and it is repeated as fact over and over again. A lot of books refer to something in a general text and do not get in-depth to each variation. This Forum has the ability to get answers from people who contributed to the books, and are contributing to books coming out in the future, who do know the correct, most current answers. The answers given here can be a blessing or a curse to the less knowledgeable collectors or shooters. It can give them an accurate idea of what they have, or give them a false impression of what they have, so one must be fairly sure of the correct answer when posting, in my opinion. Hope I did not offend you. Sincerely, -- Bill M

Unread 03-18-2002, 05:52 PM   #7
Gilly
User

Default Re: Book reference

Thank you to everyone. This is my first Luger and I should have done some reading first. I now know about the acceptance marks which I didn't before. The magazine bottom is flat and is numbered ro a serial # a couple thousand higher. I can't find an import mark on the pistol either. I helped a friend dispose of some high capacity firearms before he moved back to California and he sold me the luger for $200.00 in apprecetion for my help. I always wanted one but wanted one in nice condition. Again thanks for everyones input. David

Unread 03-18-2002, 06:10 PM   #8
Gilly
User

Any suggestions as to books that I can pick up for reference. I also need to find out about holsters as I would like to have one to match. Thanks again to everyone, David.

Unread 03-19-2002, 07:30 AM   #9
Marvin
User

David,

Some of the best books that have the latest information are thos written by Jan Still. They are "Third Reich Lugers", "Weimar Lugers", "Imperial Lugers" and "Pistols of the Third Reich". If you look at the Links & Resources section of the Forum, Jan's addresses are listed and the books can be ordered directly from him or most of the Gun Book Dealers. The price is approx. $59.00 each. If you order direct from Jan, ask him to authgraph it for you! Jan's book give more technical information than historical info. John Walter's book, "Luger" give a good historical perspective on the pistol. "Lugers at Random" is a well respected book which has mostly pictures with a write-up on each one. Read as many books as you can on the subject!

Marvin