LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 07-06-2003, 03:09 PM   #1
walter
User

Post safety question

I would love to share a story of a Luger, but without it being legally owned how safe would it be to share it ?
walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2003, 03:34 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts
I would imagine as safe as "you" feel. Otherwise, if someone ratted you out, then you could get into trouble. Now if it was a story about a Luger from 30 years ago that a friend owned....

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2003, 07:19 AM   #3
walter
User

My uncle was in the port town of Wilhelmshaven (just going by his pronouncement of the place) when he and his buddies found a crate of lugers destined for shipment.They were packed in grease. He was able to smuggle one home, but couldn't fit the stock for it in his kit bag, what a bummer eh! I'm sure there hasn't been more than a couple of hundred shots fired from it.Being no expert I can't presume to say it's in mint condition, but there is no bluing missing, no dents or scratches, no rust, pitting or anything that I can see that would detract from a marvelous piece of german enginering. I am not a collector, but it is quite thrilling to know where such a piece of history exists
Unread 07-07-2003, 10:44 AM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Walter, it would be interesting to see pictures of this Luger?

Army Lugers didn't come with stocks as far as I know in WW2, there were still Lange (long or Artillery) models around, but none were officially produced in WW2. Being Wilhelmshaven, it is very possible that the stock was for a Navy model, if so, then members on the forum would be very interested, and I imagine that the inch requirement would be met by Canadian law? Navy Lugers are many times found with longer barrels.

Ed

Unread 07-07-2003, 11:48 AM   #5
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Surely the photographs were taken before your LATE Uncle (who was not really a blood relative) sold this Luger legally and it was exported prior to firearms registration in Canada, eh?! So posting those historical photos of the gun would be interesting for discussion purposes...

what would be REALLY interesting are the details about the capture and how it was brought home without detection... Ed Tinker is creating a book about such stories.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2003, 07:49 PM   #6
walter
User

The stock supposedly slid onto the back of the pistol-grip.The right side of the chamber has a three winged eagle over 655 followed by a smaller two winged eagle over 655 followed by a more precise eagle over the swastika which is also found an inch ahead of it on the barrel, 1940 is found above the chamber, 42 on top of toggle, 9268 on left side of chamber and 68 seems to be on every other part of gun. under the barrel ahead of the lever that I presume would take-down the barrel (yes I know the saying about presuming things) 9268 is found again which is over the letter l.two magazines have 122 over a three winged eagle over 37 if that means anything.There is ahh was two cardboard boxes of shells marked 9mm pistol parabellum which I don't know were original. a leather holster also.Of course I'm only going from memory as I hav'nt seen the gun for a number of years.
Unread 07-13-2003, 01:38 PM   #7
walter
User

had supper with my uncle last night, asked if he could write out his luger find story so I could put it inside the grips, as he had no kids and my wife and I the same I can't imagine what will happen to it when we are gone.I have it hid in a place where future archaeologists might find it, but can't see anyone with a reason to be digging in this part of the world. With the info I gave in my last post,can anyone identify this gun? Where would it have been meant to be shipped?Also I've asked at Chapters if they could get some of the Luger-referal books some of you have reccommended in other posts, but they said no, where do I send for them then?
Unread 07-13-2003, 02:26 PM   #8
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

This might be a repeat, but let me take a stab; 1940 equals the year it was made, 1940, while the 42 means Mauser, who made the arm.
The serial number and then the "i" is the suffix of the gun.
The 122 and the Eagle 37 are proofs and acceptance markins, as is the 655.

I had a 1940 / 42 just like this for a while. It is a nice WW2 gun.

Jan Stills Third Reich Lugers is the best on WW2 Lugers and information can be obtained from this address:

mailto:jcstill@ak.netjcstill@ak.net</a>

Ed