LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 03-07-2002, 12:16 PM   #1
TIMOTHY CANNEY

Default WW1, Weimar, WW2

Ok guys and gals,

Interesting question. when collecting lugers do you prefer, WW1, Weimar, or WW2 Lugers and why? The answer "Any Luger, any time, any maker" won't do. I'm interested in your opinions, and thoughts. I like WW1 Lugers the best as I find the finnish to be of better quality overall. I also likeErfurts in the upper %age. of finnish. Oh heck, on second thought, I'm going to break my own rule, I like them all!

Best Regards,

Tim

Unread 03-07-2002, 02:06 PM   #2
Sid Gariss

Default Re: WW1, Weimar, WW2

Hi Tim,

I would have to say I like them all also. But I would have to say that I prefer anything from 1933 on to the end of the war. Not because of anything special, just because of the time period and the events of the time. Hope this will do for an answer.

Sid.

Unread 03-07-2002, 02:16 PM   #3
Russ
User

Tim

what about pre ww1 guns? thats what i like! all the dferent grip safety lugers.

russ

Unread 03-07-2002, 02:57 PM   #4
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts

My preference is from 1893 through the Imperial Lugers. I have always maintained that anything made after 1918 is a reproduction!

Unread 03-07-2002, 03:59 PM   #5
R. Grady/Roadkill

I love military guns.

Roadkill

Unread 03-07-2002, 08:39 PM   #6
Doug
User

Default Imperial are the best!

I like the Imperial guns, because the fit and finish are far superior to the post WWI guns. I just picked up a nice 1913 DWM military that has a fine polish and most all the tool marks are polished out. If you stop to think that these guns have been through so much and yet are still as tight as the day they were made. Even though the WWII guns were of high quality they just don't have that extra bit.

Unread 03-07-2002, 08:43 PM   #7
Thor
User

Default Re: Imperial are the best!

I like the Imperials the best too, but a nice 1920 30 Luger turns my head even though they are very common. I have a distinct like for byfs too though they are decidely rough. The 1914-1918 with and excellent rust blue finish and nice strawed parts and make my grips light tan/blonde please like many of the late war ones were. I am "Luger Fickle"....I love em all. Favorite long barrel is a DWM NAVY. ~Thor....."that fickle Luger boy"

Unread 03-07-2002, 09:02 PM   #8
Heinz
User

I like the Lugers that show they have been in more than one place, like the police conversions with WWI dates and clear service in the Weimar Polizei with maybe some WWII service after that. Or even better ones that have gone on the see VOPO or Russian duty after the war. They give notice to how sound the design was and how the german mechanics tinkered to keep them up to date.

Unread 03-07-2002, 11:07 PM   #9
bh

this is what makes luger collecting so interesting....a niche for everyone......my personal favorites have always been the pre-WW1 commercials,,,but, nowdays...as scarce as all quality lugers are getting, interest seem to spread...right guys???

Unread 03-07-2002, 11:13 PM   #10
Joe
User

I personally love the early military Lugers. 1909 to 1918, especailly those with unit markings. Find them to be real "character" guns, lots of history.

Unread 03-08-2002, 01:13 AM   #11
JAMES
User

Default Mausers for shooting, Imperials for showing

I like to shoot the Mausers the best. I worry less about breaking them, due to the improvements in design Mauserwerke did to the design, along with the improved steel over the earlier ones, and their comparative "youth." I think the Imperial ones are the prettiest though, I love the strawed parts and extreme finishing.

Unread 03-10-2002, 12:10 AM   #12
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

I'm new at this. After a lifetime of interest I am finally buying Lugers. I'm still at the stage of buying every (any) Luger which comes around and fits my pocketbook, which means that I am specializing in unmatched, shooter-grade Lugers I expect that once the adrenalin rush is over I'll settle down and find out what aspect of all this is actually the most interesting to me. The first Luger I bought happens to be an old-style dish toggle, something I never thought I'd own (yeah, its dog-tired, but hey, for a 100-year-old gun...). The other life-long touchstone of my interest is a 6" Navy, an unmatched shooter would suit me just fine. I expect that after I satisfy that particular craving I'll settle down into some sort of conventional collecting pattern.

--Dwight