LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 12-26-2004, 10:09 AM   #1
LoneGunman
New User

Default DWM 1918 and snail mags

I'm doing some research for a customer and friend. He's got a DWM 1918 that he brought home with him after WW2. The bluing is in 98% but the straw colored parts are very faint. All of the numbers match including the magazine but he is missing the grips, I'm in the process of trying to find him a set. I'm a dealer and collect Colt's but know very little about Lugers. Are all of the 1918 DWM's pretty much the same, no rare models? I guess what I'm trying to find out is, is there anything I should be looking for that makes this DWM worth more than others? He's not interested in selling it but would like to know an appoximate value for insurance purposes.

He also has 3 snail magazines that he is interested in selling. I do not have them in my possession yet but I should have them next week. I will be selling them for him and I'm guessing online would be the best place. I'll also be selling a luger stock for him. Im my opinion a stock on a DWM Luger would not be legal unless he has a tax stamp for it, am I correct?
LoneGunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2004, 10:29 AM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts

A stock is not legal unless used / owned with the correct luger. i.e a navy stock for a navy gun, an artillery stock for an artillery luger or I imgaine it is registered / tax stamp.

Grips are for sale on e-bay all the time, they come off of guns that are parted out, etc. True, correct guns would have the serial number stamped on them from WW1. In 1918, there were 118,000 lugers made (1916 140k), so it is not a rare gun.

I would imagine that value is $800-$1100, if in 98%, then value can be toward the higher end.

Snail magazines are fairly valuable, and would readily sell on this forum.

Lots of pictures would help in value, both for the luger and the magazines.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote