LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Commercial Lugers

Unread 12-30-2002, 02:46 PM   #1
Rick in VA
New User

Post Luger and Holster I.D.

Hello everyone.I recently inherited a luger and after reading the forum,I'm sure I have a commercial model.I am hoping you can give me info such as dates etc on the gun and holster.The gun has a crown with the "n" below it along with 5136 and a script i on the bottom of the barrel.The reciever has a vertical crown/n on the side and the 5136 germany and script i on the front of the frame.All the parts have the number 36 on them.DWM is in script on top of the gun and there is no date or other markings on top.The holster has an eagle on a swastica with 1938 and R.Ehrhardt and Poessneck stamped on the back. Thanks for your help. Rick
Rick in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2002, 07:43 PM   #2
drbuster
User

Dear Rick in VA. Does the chamber have a date? If it is 1921, it could be an example of a DWM/Krieghoff. Any stamping on the back of the frame? These specimens were suffixed in the "i" range. [img]rolleyes.gif[/img]
drbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2002, 11:01 PM   #3
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,617 Times in 526 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Rick in VA:
<strong>Hello everyone.I recently inherited a luger and after reading the forum,I'm sure I have a commercial model. Rick</strong><hr></blockquote>

Rick, your Luger is a commercial model as witnessed by the C/N proofs and no date. I'm guessing the caliber at 7.65mm (.30 caliber) and barrel length at 3 7/8 inches or 98mm as measured from closed breechface to muzzle. I also suspect that the last two digits of the serial number are stamped on the underside of the take-down lever (locking bolt) and sideplate and can be seen by turning the pistol over.

The "i" suffix makes it an early post-WW1 commercial and is what Jan Still has termed an "Alphabet Luger". It's a commercial pistol and marked commercially expect that the serial number has a suffix letter like a military pistol would ordinarily have. This manner of serial numbering was peculiar to post-WW1 DWM commercial pistols.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2002, 09:07 AM   #4
Rick in VA
New User

Lightbulb

Herbert and Doubs thankyou for your replies.There is no date on the chamber or markings on the back of the frame.the caliber is 7.65mm and barrel length 3.78".the last two digits of the serial number are on the takedown lever and the sideplate. Thanks Rick
Rick in VA is offline   Reply With Quote