LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 08-23-2014, 10:32 PM   #1
Dave Sanders
User

Default Help on pricing

I had a guy call on my ad. He has a 1939 luger and a 1943 (sn check) Colt 45 from his father who brought them back but died 4 years ago. This guy is facing some surgery and wants to sell both. I haven't been keeping up much on prices lately, and I know it is hard to comment without pictures, but what are those worth. I am going to look at them tomorrow, then I'll know better. He said the luger is 98% blue, matching numbers, but I'm not sure about internal yet until I look. It has a mag, but I didn't ask if it was matching. He said the Colt was in nice shape and he looked the SN up and it is a 1943 produced. So, lets say both are nice and luger is matching, but nothing rare on either. Would they be worth $1500 each. That is what he wants to get out of them. He may talk a little, but assuming they are both nice, is that too far above norm, norm, or a good deal. I would appreciate your opinions on this inspite of the fact you can't see what you are commenting on.
Dave
Dave Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2014, 10:39 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts

I think a decent price to both of you, if that nice. If reblued, that price for both IMO.

I see dealers get more for each, but that is dealers, again, IMO.
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2014, 11:52 PM   #3
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

They may be worth $1500 each retail, but be careful getting into them at top dollar, especially in a rush deal like this. Not to be cheap, but I'd try to land them at $2k total.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2014, 10:08 PM   #4
Dave Sanders
User

I appreciate the advice. As things go, they are not as good as described over the phone. The luger was very nice all matching including the mag, but the side plate was a blank replacement. It was very hard to get the sideplate knob down. Quite disapointed. The colt had been arsenal refinished. There were some small stamped letters like abbreviations to the side of the inspectors 3 letter mark on the left side. Those letters ended with CA, perhaps California and those letters were an import stamp? I don't know. It did have the correct 2 tone mag. So with that, what would they be worth as shooters? $700 each, $750 more or less. The guy wants to have an idea. Anyway, thanks for any ideas.
Dave
Unread 08-24-2014, 10:14 PM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts

An arsenal refinished 1911a1 is still worth goof money, more than a shooter. Would need more info, and really pictures.

Because few 1911's have import markings, so to me it makes a big difference. Arsenal is not so bad, import markings or civilian refinish is.

Parkerized? Blued?

Serial number range of colt?
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2014, 10:27 PM   #6
Dave Sanders
User

It was not the lighter color parkerization that my 1943 colt has, it was a darker color, but not quite the typical bluing if that makes sense. SN range was 1million, 110 thousand XXX as I remember. It had the little arsenal stamp on the right side as I remember. I, like a dummy forgot my camera. I could see some slight, very slight signs of some pitting here and there, and it was a filled in sort of thing which made me believe it had been refinished.
Unread 08-24-2014, 10:37 PM   #7
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

As things go, they are not as good as described over the phone They rarely are...,
I suppose that $750 is ballpark on the Luger, and all I'd pay for the 1911, but I'm out of my league there.
Good Luck Dave.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2014, 07:31 PM   #8
ubu
New User

Default Beware

If the owner described them as he did and they have been messed with as you say, DON'T BELIEVE a word he says. He has Frakenguns. He is trying to SCAM you. Spend your money on all original documented guns. Don't bother to negotiate with a person of this element. RUN Forest RUN
ubu is offline   Reply With Quote