LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Navy Lugers

Unread 02-28-2005, 01:46 PM   #1
Navy
RIP

Default Provenanced 1906 Navy combat veteran

On 2 July 1915, the SMS Albatross was part of a German naval force steaming towards Danzig in the southern Baltic after having completed a mine laying operation in the Gulf of Finland. Just south of the Gotland island, the German force encountered a strong Russian Naval force.

During the ensuing combat, the SMS Albatross was severely damaged and ran aground near Ostergarn on the east coast of Gotland. Some 29 of the crew were killed and another 49 wounded in this action.

The German crew was interned by the neutral Swedes for the rest of the war. The dead were buried in a mass grave south of Ostergarn Church.

The German crew were moved several times during their internment, first to Roma in centeral Gotland, then to Tofta, south of the island's capital, Visby. All of the arrangements for the interned crew were made by a Swedish Army officer, Alfred Olsson.

One of the prisoners, Leutenant zur See Johann Conrad Dunklenberg was very appreciative of the care that Olsson had arranged for the crew and, in an expression of gratitude, presented him with his service pistol, SN 2540, property number W.W. 2620.

Olsson eventually passed the gun down in his family to Kjell Olsson.

The story of the battle and internment of the crew is written in the book, S.M.S. Albatross by Erich Thiery.

I am now the owner of this piece complete with its matching magazine, holster, tool and cleaning rod. Along with the pistol, I acquired an oil of the battle scene and a period map depicting the ebb and flow of the combat at sea, along with a copy of Thiery's book. I have additionally obtained photostats of the Imperial German Naval Rank list that provides a complete history of Lt Z S Dunklenberg from his officer candidate days aboard the Oldenberg in 1909 , listing his service on the Albatross, through his service in the Weimar Navy in 1928.

The gun is a delight. Although it has had some restoration, I believe that this piece's historical significance as an artifact far surpasses its significance as a collector pistol, and it will be displayed in a place of distinction in my Imperial Navy collection.

As time permits, photographs will be forthcoming.

Tom A.
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2005, 04:27 PM   #2
Brent B.
User

I think it's great that you have the story behind the Luger and I'm looking forward to seeing your photos. I've been collecting Imperial Lugers for about 3 years and have 28 Lugers, one of them is a 1908 Navy with unit marks and 6 of the others have unit markings. I've always wondered where they had been and other then a few reference books with limited information there's not a lot a person can find out. Brent B.
Brent B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2005, 08:28 PM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts

Tom's new luger:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	albatross1.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	158  

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2005, 08:34 PM   #4
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Absolutely outstanding..... I'm in awe.... To have such a piece of history - which can be tracked and verified is an amazing feat......

Tom - my sincerest congratulations on such a wonderful Luger...!!!!

John D.
John D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2005, 08:38 PM   #5
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

And a few more pics of Tom's Navy I found hanging around in my servers:

John D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2005, 09:27 PM   #6
Navy
RIP

All,

I consider myself *blessed*to have come across this wonderful group at a time when I could afford to make the deal work. No small amount of appreciation is due to my very good friend, Bob Simpson, who made it happen.

As someone who was educated as a historian (Mercer University, AB), the historical significance of the piece really touches me. I have been collecting Lugers since the early '60's and have never come across one that had such a history: tracable not only to the man who brought it back, but also to the man whose service weapon it was. And the story is one of humanitarianism in the midst of brutal combat.

This piece will leave my collection when I am: a. Toe tagged; b. Destitute and in need of a drool ward; c. When the court declares me incompetant to manage my affairs.

Humbled to have acquired such a treasure.

Tom A.
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2005, 10:10 PM   #7
the gunman
User

Tom what a Wonderful ,Wonderful find. I envy you. A once in a lifetime deal. I would try to
take it with me with my toe tag. Wonderful thing
the gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2005, 10:49 PM   #8
Big Norm
RIP

Tom,
nice going! I hope that, someday soon, you will be able to display the oil painting of the battle on the forum.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2005, 03:57 AM   #9
susan
User

Congratulations! this really is news.

as a "lurker" on site, i am primarily interested in the historical references made here more than i can have full appreciation for the actual artifacts themselves. to that end, i say " kudos" not only for your willingness to share a great story, but to your willigness and ablility to authenticate the provenance.

susan
susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2005, 08:43 AM   #10
dz
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default Navy Luger

It would seem that the Navy Luger had been for sale on Simpsons' web site for some time at $7,500.00.
dz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2005, 08:36 PM   #11
Heinz
User

ZIm, my grandfather taught there were certain items where gentleman never pointed out the price. Women and fast cars were the other two.
Heinz is offline   Reply With Quote