LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 01-12-2003, 09:29 PM   #1
BradW
User

Post Commercial 1920 questions

I've been wanting to get a Luger for some time and finally found one at a local shop, I bought the Luger Tips book to try and make a half way intelligent decision and think I did O.K. It's the most common 1920 Commercial variety with about 95% original bluing but the mag has a serial numbered metal base that is according to the book the wrong type, are the wooden base type mags hard to find? is there a way to I.D. what type of Luger would go with the metal based mag? I paid $485 + tax which in Central Washington seemed decent since even the brown junkers are $400 at the shows around here (when you can find them). Serial number 3815 matched on all the parts I could find except mag. Is there a way to figure production date from this number? Thank you for any information.
Brad
BradW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2003, 09:47 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts
Hello Brad, we are almost neighbors!

Yes, with the assorted Luger books, you can figure out which type of magazines go with each gun.

Can you tell us any markings on the gun?

Proofs? (see on your left under tech information if you came through www.lugerforum.com) Tell us what and where proofs and markings are located.

There are forms in this section, where you can print out and then write down pertinent information.

What serial number is on the gun? To include any letters next to or under the serial number?

What year or letters are stamped on the top of the receiver?

What initials or letters are on the toggle?

Can you provide pictures, to include side, top, etc?

All of that can help really ID your new gun.

Do you consider it a 1920 because of its 1920 markings or???
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2003, 10:45 PM   #3
BradW
User

Hi Edward,
I figured which model by the book "Luger Tips", It has the DWM marking on top and no date on the receiver. Serial number 3815 on the bottom of the barrel and in front of the frame and what looks like an "a" under the serial number, number 15 is stamped on a few of the other parts, It has the crown N proof marks on it and Germany on the Left side. The parts that are supposed to be straw colored are correct except the trigger looks a bit more silver than straw. The mag has a 1 and then a 4 diget number under that on the metal bottom, it looks a little tarnished and I'm sure it's not a new mag but I don't know how old it is. I wish I could post a picture but don't have the capability. Thank you for your interest.
Brad
BradW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2003, 08:12 AM   #4
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Brad, The correct mag for your 1920 commerical luger would be an unnumbered wood bottom tin plated mag. The alum bottomed mag with the 1 over xxxx, is a poice mag of some type. I do have the wood bottomed mags available from $50 to $150 depending on condition. Tom H.