LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 07-12-2003, 05:38 PM   #1
trigger643
User

Post ...one of those days...

walked into a little gun store/pawn shop in a small NW Louisiana town last week. They had a wonderfully mismatched LP08 (ever seen a 1914 LP08 with a byf toggle and no 2 external pieces matching?). $2,500.00. I spotted a 97%+ Colt Woodsman 2nd series, S suffix, for $165.00 with PERFECT Coltwood grips (sadly, it had come into the store in the box, but the owner had tossed it out. I did get the manual).

Call me snobbish. I had almost said something about the LP08's price, until I considered just what I was filling out the yellow sheet for.

Then again, someday's that's me selling treasures for pebbles and asking nuggets for trash.

trigger643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2003, 09:30 PM   #2
Herb
User

Great buy! A woodsman for that price is a real steal. I bought one back in the late 60's, one heck of a great shooting pistol.
Unread 07-12-2003, 10:08 PM   #3
trigger643
User

I have a Pre-woodsman circa 1927 that I shoot all the time and love. It's a pencil barrel, wonderful gun.

When I was a kid, my Dad had a Woodsman very similiar to this new one that he traded the 1911 he brought home from the war for. It's the "sport" model. I was saddened that the store owner, when I asked if anything had come with it, replied 'the box, but I don't have room for it, but I have the papers'...

Unread 07-12-2003, 10:45 PM   #4
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,617 Times in 526 Posts
trigger643, I have my father's Woodsman that he bought new in 1929. It still has the standard velocity main spring housing. My father never saw the need to buy the replacement parts to allow high-speed ammunition to be fired in it. Your pre-Woodsman was one of the very last made, according to my references. Beautiful pistols.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2003, 11:42 PM   #5
trigger643
User

Doubs, I only shoot standard velocity in my prewoodsman. I generally get Federal Gold Medal, too expensive for a plinker, I know, but quality ammo. I use the Federal shooting matches at Clarks in my Ruger

Unread 07-13-2003, 07:48 AM   #6
trigger643
User

tac, the slight anguish I felt knowing this numb-nuts had tossed the box would have probably turned to rage had he milled out the chamber, cut off the firing pin and grilled off the bolt face. Viva La America. Glen