LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 10-25-2003, 08:23 AM   #1
Roadkill
User

Post All things equal

All things equal, is an artillery Luger more accurate than a standard model? No race guns, no modifications, no sweetheart ammo loads, just straight guns as issued using milspec ammo, a LP08 and a military model side by side on a 25yd range.

rk
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2003, 08:35 AM   #2
wterrell
User

rk,
I wrote a reply to your query that was a masterpiece of sarcasm, spoof, and smug remarks, but I repented and deleted it. It is of no advantage to tell a man that his sweet little daughter is gawd-awful ugly.
wterrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2003, 09:23 AM   #3
Roadkill
User

Repenting/confession and hence redemption and calm have not appeared often in your forum personality Wes. I think (yeah, ya'll get a hoot out of that)what you are saying is that it was too damn nasty to print and upon reflection and the potential negative personal attention bestowed liberally albeit deservedly by John/John you decided, as I have also on many occasions, to remove it. So send it to me by PM. I'd love to read it.

rk
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2003, 11:39 AM   #4
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,617 Times in 526 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by Roadkill:
<strong>All things equal, is an artillery Luger more accurate than a standard model? ...a LP08 and a military model side by side on a 25yd range.
rk</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Hand held? IMO, yes. From a Ransom Rest? I doubt you could tell the difference.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2003, 11:56 AM   #5
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts
Hand-held (as Doubs notes) on a 25-yard range, I can shoot my 1917 LP-08 more accurately than my (extremely accurate) 1936 S/42. I believe this has more to do with the longer sight radius, increased mass, and center of mass of the Artillery, than any innate difference in accuracy capability.

Logic would dictate that, from a rest or fixed firing position, the LP-08 would be inherently more accurate, but the difference would not begin to be notable until you reached distances -well- beyond 25 yards.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2003, 03:46 PM   #6
MikeP
User

This has been kicked about before but I will resubmit that the sight radius on a LP08 is actually shorter than on a standard model.

My experience is that it is somewhat easier to shoot accurately with the standard model if you are not using the stock.

The stock added to the LP08 changes that.
MikeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2003, 09:55 PM   #7
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by MikeP:
<strong>This has been kicked about before but I will resubmit that the sight radius on a LP08 is actually shorter than on a standard model.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Correct. I just measured it, the sight radius of the 4" barrel, 9mm Luger is 3/4" longer than the sight radius of an LP-08.

So its the mass and where its located which makes it more accurate for me.

Actually, with a stock, the sights are so close to my eyes and the sight picture is -so- rotten that it somewhat counters the additional steadiness the stock provides.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote