LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-29-2001, 07:39 PM   #1
Steve Lempitski
User

Default Erfurt Grips

Gentlemen, enjoy your bantering in this column, it was recommended to me by one of your own who is redoing a gun for me. (No plug here Ted!) My question is: I have some very dark grips on a 1916 Erfurt. I took them off and cleaned them using the water and oil soap method I saw here a few weeks back, and after the grime came off and I can see the wood grain, they are still dark! The wood appears to be black walnut - is it? I know the grips are original, as the reverse side is numbered to the gun with an Erfurt inspectors proof. Thanks, SJL

Unread 04-29-2001, 09:03 PM   #2
BILL
User

Default Re: Erfurt Grips (EOM)

Unread 04-29-2001, 09:10 PM   #3
BILL
User

Default *Dohhh!! (I did it again)*

I don't know why, but for some reason I sometimes just click on the 'Post Message' dialogue box first..I hate when that happens! About the grips: I have cleaned some that are very dark wood and some that have been stained with a very dark stain and some that are oil soaked..none of these lighten up much. I have also cleaned some that turn out to be lighter and show more grain. I can usually tell how much grime is going to come off by the shade of the water and soap mixture. If you want some really nice lighter grips (for shooting or display) you should talk the Hugh Clark, a regular here who is a grip expert..you can trace his roots back the original walnut tree in the Black Forest of Germany).

Unread 04-29-2001, 09:18 PM   #4
Steve Lempitski
User

Default Thanks for the Info! (EOM)

Unread 04-29-2001, 09:49 PM   #5
Hugh
RIP

Default HA HA-Steve :D

Actually Black Walnut is an American tree, the European ones are a differwnt Walnut. I have seen european walnut in all shades from dark to almost white. If you want to lighten the color of your grips, you can apply laundry bleach or Hydrogen Peroxide to them, let soak for a minute or two, then flush with water and wash with Murphys Oil Soap. If they are not light enough for you, repeat the process.

Unread 04-29-2001, 11:01 PM   #6
bill m
User

Default Leave Them Alone - They Are The Originals (EOM)

Unread 04-29-2001, 11:07 PM   #7
BILL
User

Default Re: HA HA-Steve :D

Alrighty, bleaching is something I haven't tried. For me, it would depend entirely on whether I wanted to maintain the 'originality' of the firearm or not. For this reason, a set of replacement grips could always be reinstalled (maybe for spring and summer you go with the lighter grips and fall and winter..you get the picture). Enjoy yur looger!

Unread 04-30-2001, 06:11 AM   #8
Steve Lempitski
User

Default Re: HA HA-Steve :D

I was thinking myself of possibly bleaching them. Problem is the grips are mint with nice deep checkering, and no dings. Unfortunately, the rest of the gun which actually was brought home from WW2, is EXTREMELY pitted. Accurate shooter though. Thanks for the info on the wood type. - SJL

Unread 04-30-2001, 09:25 AM   #9
Art Buchanan

Default Re: Erfurt Grips

I dissagree with any soap and water cleaning of Luger grips.Some times used it 20 years ago--but it raises grain and makes fuz. I have cleaned and frequently recheckered [carefully by hand] dozens of grips in past. It is a top secret method---but for good Luger buffs--here it is. The product is paste type paint and varnish remover --Kleen Strip available at Walmart and---. Cover the grips with paste and let it set--sometimes and hour or more.. Use tooth brush to remove paste and goo--brushing both ways with checkering. Blot and wipe with soft paper towels and blow dry with air compressor blow gun. Some times I blot with paper towel soaked in Acetone before blowing dry. If grips still too dark repeat process. Linseed oil seems a bit much for grips. I use Pilkstons red/brown rubbing oil applied with q tips. If this not dark enough for your taste --apply Pilkstons pre64 stain with q tip. these products are available from Bronnels. Bit expensive but one bottle lasts forever. The paste also works wonders for military stocks that are full of years of cosmoline and crud. I do agree with linseed for final finish on stocks. Seems no two guys like the same color of Luger grips..I prefer a medium redish brown. Some want them dark as the proverbal Ace. Note that some 1920 comms. have very light unstained grips.