LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Commercial Lugers

Unread 05-05-2004, 03:51 PM   #1
Arminius
User

Question First Luger 7.65

Hi to all!

I have a chance to bid for a 4" 7.65mm Para DWM Luger. It sports a patridge front sight, finely fitting in the U rear, excellent trigger and is most likely reblued.

Strawed parts, good wood grips, all functions correct, looks matching numbers.

How high should I go? If somebody went to the trouble of fitting a patridge sight and tuning the trigger, most likely it will shoot!

I would go up to 600. Too much, too low?

Thanks in advance, Hermann
Arminius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2004, 04:11 PM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Arminius, welcome to the Lugerforum...

For a gun that has lost it's collector value (because it has been refinished and modified), I think $600 USD is top end... and $500 USD is probably more like it. If your estimate is in Euros, then I really can't comment because it depends on the market value in your country.

A "squared" front sight could be as simple as fitting a P-38 front sight blade (same size dovetail) and is no great deal of work... opening the built in V-notch rear sight to match the replacement front sight is only a couple of minutes work with a jeweler's file and a drop of touch up blue...

The sight modifications I have described are common on shooter-class non-collectable Lugers. They make for a much better sight picture... except that I would opt for a square notch rear sight instead of U-shaped.

If you like the trigger and the sights, and the bore is in good shape it will be a good shooter.

The only detractor (for me at least) is the caliber. Lots of folks like the .30 caliber Luger, but the cost of ammunition is much higher than 9mm.

If the cost is not prohibitive to you, the gun should be a good shooter.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote